Things do not end with buying and installing a new garage door in Yeerongpilly. The thing is, it require proper care and maintenance for them to retain their top quality and condition. In fact, even if you purchased a topnotch brand and a heavy-duty material, it is still a must that you do the right things to care for your garage door. Here are some tips on door maintenance that will help you keep the door looking and working like it is brand new and minimising the need for garage door repairs.
Garage Door Repair – Problems and Fixes in Yeerongpilly
A sliding garage door is probably the most functional, versatile, easy to use and secure garage door system that you can buy.
Sliding doors run in tracks that allow the door to slide away from the main garage entrance to a storage point that can be either, to the side of the door's opening, or in a more distant and remote resting position. The only limitation to where the door can slide to is the length of the track.
How sliding doors work
Sliding doors are made up from a number of hinged panels that allow them to turn or bend at corners and changes of angle. The panels are connected to each other on their vertical axis and vary in width dependent upon manufacturer.
Because this kind of door has a sectional construction is means that it can be produced in a massive range of fitting widths, i.e. to increase the width of a sliding door it is simply amended by additional vertical panels.
The sliding door panels are held in position at their top and bottom by runners that engage in a smooth running track. This track runs from the garage opening to the point where the door is stored when open. This may be immediately adjacent to the opening, or at some more convenient location where it does not cause an obstruction.
Most garage doors that operate a sliding mechanism have the track running within the garage, however it is possible to keep the track in front of the garage and some commercial applications favour this approach.
Why you might want to consider a sliding garage door
- A sliding door does not require roof space that could be used for storage.
- A sliding garage door does not need an opening zone within the garage or outside the garage (e.g. like an up and over door).
- A vehicle can be parked directly against a sliding door whilst still leaving the door operational.
- A sliding door does not need to be a perfect fit for the opening (like most other door types) as it needs to project a short distance either side of the opening.
- Sliding doors are easy to operate because the mass of the door is supported vertically on a track. For this reason they require a very little effort to move and this makes them perfect for all ages and genders.
- Sliding garage doors lend themselves to good security and there is an extensive range of locks and fittings that can see them not just locking into the track, but also being mechanically locked to a floor or ceiling.
- Sliding doors are perfect for electric automation using a wall mounted button or a remote control. They also have a lower energy requirement than most other door types (where the full weight of the door is lifted by the motor).
- Sliding garage doors are strong and tough and their extensive applications in the commercial sector reflect their long term durability and reliability.
- Sliding garage doors come in a range of aesthetic styles that make their sectional construction difficult to detect. They can incorporate glass panels or mimic the appearance of wood and their sectional construction means that they can contain thermal insulation.
- Sliding garage doors are one of only a couple of door types that are able to include a human access, side hinged door, within their sectional construction. This can be a real bonus if the door is regularly used for "human only" access as it enhances security and reduces heat loss.
How To Pick The Best Garage Door
Things do not end with buying and installing a new garage door. The thing is, it require proper care and maintenance for them to retain their top quality and condition. In fact, even if you purchased a topnotch brand and a heavy-duty material, it is still a must that you do the right things to care for your garage door. Here are some tips on door maintenance that will help you keep the door looking and working like it is brand new.
1. Wipe with a clean cloth regularly. Doing this once a month is good enough. This should be done to prevent damage such as rusting that is usually caused by foreign matter adhering to the surface of the door. For stubborn stains and debris, dip the cloth in a mild household detergent diluted with water. Do not scrub the surface of the door with a rough material as it may leave unsightly scratches.
2. Apply car wax on the garage door. This is to help the surface repel dirt and keep its moisture. Of course, this would have to depend on the material of the garage door. Check out the manual first before doing this tip. Wooden garage doors, for example, may require a different solution.
3. Check the door for any signs of defect or broken components. Inspect the parts of the door such as the rubber astragal, opening mechanism, bracket button, hinges, steel rollers, and so on.
4. Lubricate the moving parts with light household oil or a lubricant specifically designed for this purpose.
5. Have a professional repair your garage if you detect any signs of malfunction or broken parts. It is not safe to leave your garage door like that when you already know that there is something wrong with it. Have it repaired immediately to prevent any injuries.
6. Test the safety reverse mechanism of the door at least once a month. This safety reverse mechanism ensures that when something blocks the door, it would reverse back to the open position to prevent injuries and even death. Test this mechanism by blocking the door with an item like a roll of paper towels. If it does not revert back to its original opening position and ends up crushing the paper towels, the door needs to be re-adjusted or fixed immediately.
7. Tighten screws and nuts on bolts twice a year. See to it that the slide lock is not extended past the end stile of the door in its unlocked position.
8. See if the door opens and closes with no difficulty. It should flow smoothly. If something seems stuck, check out what is wrong and have it repaired as soon as possible.
Aside from proper care and maintenance of the garage door, it is also a must that you give the garage area a good revamp so it would look nice and wonderful. Clean up any clutter, paint the walls with a new color, and organize the tools and items-these are just few of the many things you can do to give your garage a makeover.
Repairing a Genie Garage Door Opener