Things do not end with buying and installing a new garage door in Wynnum. The thing is, it require proper care and maintenance for them to retain their top quality and condition. In fact, even if you purchased a topnotch brand and a heavy-duty material, it is still a must that you do the right things to care for your garage door. Here are some tips on door maintenance that will help you keep the door looking and working like it is brand new and minimising the need for garage door repairs.
Garage Door Repair – Problems and Fixes in Wynnum
Things do not end with buying and installing a new garage door. The thing is, it require proper care and maintenance for them to retain their top quality and condition. In fact, even if you purchased a topnotch brand and a heavy-duty material, it is still a must that you do the right things to care for your garage door. Here are some tips on door maintenance that will help you keep the door looking and working like it is brand new.
1. Wipe with a clean cloth regularly. Doing this once a month is good enough. This should be done to prevent damage such as rusting that is usually caused by foreign matter adhering to the surface of the door. For stubborn stains and debris, dip the cloth in a mild household detergent diluted with water. Do not scrub the surface of the door with a rough material as it may leave unsightly scratches.
2. Apply car wax on the garage door. This is to help the surface repel dirt and keep its moisture. Of course, this would have to depend on the material of the garage door. Check out the manual first before doing this tip. Wooden garage doors, for example, may require a different solution.
3. Check the door for any signs of defect or broken components. Inspect the parts of the door such as the rubber astragal, opening mechanism, bracket button, hinges, steel rollers, and so on.
4. Lubricate the moving parts with light household oil or a lubricant specifically designed for this purpose.
5. Have a professional repair your garage if you detect any signs of malfunction or broken parts. It is not safe to leave your garage door like that when you already know that there is something wrong with it. Have it repaired immediately to prevent any injuries.
6. Test the safety reverse mechanism of the door at least once a month. This safety reverse mechanism ensures that when something blocks the door, it would reverse back to the open position to prevent injuries and even death. Test this mechanism by blocking the door with an item like a roll of paper towels. If it does not revert back to its original opening position and ends up crushing the paper towels, the door needs to be re-adjusted or fixed immediately.
7. Tighten screws and nuts on bolts twice a year. See to it that the slide lock is not extended past the end stile of the door in its unlocked position.
8. See if the door opens and closes with no difficulty. It should flow smoothly. If something seems stuck, check out what is wrong and have it repaired as soon as possible.
Aside from proper care and maintenance of the garage door, it is also a must that you give the garage area a good revamp so it would look nice and wonderful. Clean up any clutter, paint the walls with a new color, and organize the tools and items-these are just few of the many things you can do to give your garage a makeover.
Do You Need An Annual Service Contract For Your Garage Door?
The garage door is often the part of the house that most people forget to maintain. It is easy enough to remember to cut the grass when it tickles your knees as you walk into your house, but you may have trouble remembering to take care of your garage door until you are trying to park your car and it just will not open. Worse yet, you may not know there is a problem until there are holes in some of the panels. But with a few simple practices you can keep your garage door in great shape to protect your car and tools.
To prevent any long term damage to moving parts on your door it may be a good idea to lubricate the moving parts from time to time. Spray all the hinges, rollers, and tracks with a little WD-40 to keep things moving freely. It may even be a good idea to spray the moving pieces of the lock to make sure it isn't rusting up. If you are the type of person that normally doesn't park their car in the garage then you may be in more danger of this than someone who opens and closes the door frequently.
For wooden garage doors you need to make sure that both sides of the panels are painted. This helps to shield the door from humidity and frequently changing temperatures that can lead to rotting. If your door is rotting through then you are not shielding your possessions from the elements. You may also want to make sure that you are not keeping any caustic liquids or paint thinners near the door, as the slow leaks that often happen in these containers may lead to damage to the paint.
If you have a medal door you still need to make sure that the paint job on your garage door is intact. The paint helps protect the door from rust, which can cause holes or the moving parts to lock up. But whether you have a medal or wooden door it is important to make sure that you keep the door clean. Excessive dirt may eventually wear away at the paint job, or get into the moving pieces and cause damage over time. You should use a mild cleaner to wash the door, as something caustic may damage the paint job faster than the dirt. Dish soap or any kind of soap you would use to wash your car will do well to protect the paint job.
Also important to check from time to time is the spring tension. The springs that help lift your door up and down can wear out from the weight of the door it is constantly lifting up and setting down. If the door feels too heavy when you open it, or if it sounds like your motor is struggling with the weight of the door than it may be time to change the springs. Use caution because these springs are kept under constant tension and can be dangerous if not removed properly. If you are not sure how to do this then you may want to call a professional.
Just remember to protect your garage door so it can continue to protect your things in return. With a little attention your door can last for years to come.
Garage Door Repair: How to Stop Screeching and Grinding Noises