Things do not end with buying and installing a new garage door in Wishart. The thing is, it require proper care and maintenance for them to retain their top quality and condition. In fact, even if you purchased a topnotch brand and a heavy-duty material, it is still a must that you do the right things to care for your garage door. Here are some tips on door maintenance that will help you keep the door looking and working like it is brand new and minimising the need for garage door repairs.
Garage Door Repair – Problems and Fixes in Wishart
Residential garage doors are fixtures in many modern homes. Because of the many attractive and interesting styles and designs, residential garage doors are becoming one of the major focal points in many homes.
That is why it is important that you choose the best garage doors because installing one that looks incongruous is a waste of your time and money. So how do you choose the right model? Start off by doing some research.
Residential garage doors are available in many design options. You have sectional, rollup, overhead, side-hinged or carriage style. There are many manufacturers willing to custom built your garage doors to fit your special needs. When it comes to materials, there are also varied choices such as wood, composite, steel, iron and even glass reinforced plastic. Your door can be insulated or non-insulated.
Many garage doors such as steel are easy to maintain and repair while wooden doors require extra care. Take a look at some of the best residential garage doors that will suit your contemporary home and your needs.
Model 200 Tough Duty Sectional Steel Overhead Doors from Windsor Republic Doors:
This heavy-duty steel door is made from 20-gauge hot-dipped galvanized steel, primed white on both sides. It has integral reinforcing ribs for roll formed, pre-painted sections, a weathertight tongue and groove meeting rails, steel ball bearing rollers that come with case hardened races and Tog-L-Loc mechanical fastening system. Optional features are insulation, joint and full perimeter weatherseal.
European Union CE Certificate Qualified Garage Door:
This remote-controlled steel door has finger protection design to prevent injuries when you open and close the door. You can customize the sizes and colors of your door, such as ral green, brown, cream or grey. Polyurethane foam is inside the double thick layer of steel plates. It features galvanized steel hardware to prevent rust, weather-proof seal at the bottom, emergency lock and double track system. View this door at http://feilongmaster.en.made-in-china.com.
Avante Collection-Contemporary Aluminum Garage Doors by Clopay:
This aluminum door is the best replacement if you want to have a stylish-looking home. The residential applications for this door are not only confined to garage. It is perfect as patio door and indoor loft partition. Just press a button and the door automatically rolls up. When closed, the door creates an attractive and elegant wall of windows to add a stunning panoramic view of your living space. The glass is protected by a 2 and 1/8 inches thick, rust-proof aluminum frame. It is available in 9 window options and 5 factory finish options.
Gold Edition--Models RMT 610, 670, 680, 690:
These masterfully crafted and precisely engineered doors feature galvanized steel so it would not warp, rust or rot. The doors feature wood-grain embossed steel to provide you with CFC-free 1 and 3/8 inches thick polyurethane insulation for maximum energy efficiency. The doors are also manufactured in such as way that they require less maintenance and repair. Other features are weather seals, polyester finish coat and flexible vinyl bottom. Color options are almond, brown, sandstone, white, grey, bronze and hunter green. These doors sell at haasdoor.com.
There are many ways and places to purchase the best residential garage doors-online retailers, home improvement stores, dealers or hardware stores. Many are offering residential garage doors at competitive prices. For a really good buy, choose a residential garage door that has tax credit or rebate and a reasonable period of warranty.
Caring For Your Garage Door - Everything You Need to Know
Garage doors normally open and close more than a dozen times every day. Routine maintenance is essential for continued proper functioning. Here's a checklist for routine maintenance and simple repairs every handy homeowner can perform without difficulty.
These procedures are recommended three or four times every year:
- Wash the exterior of the door with a stiff brush and mild detergent. Repaint or touch up peeling, chipped or cracked paint, especially if there is exposed wood.
- Use a vinyl cleaner on weather stripping around the bottom and frame. Lubricate with a silicone product to keep stripping flexible.
- Inspect rollers for damage. New rollers may be purchased from garage door dealers or at home improvement centers. Broken or worn rollers are easy to remove. First, use a socket wrench to loosen the bolts holding the roller hinge in place and remove damaged rollers. Insert replacement rollers and fasten hinge bolts.
- Check door tracks with a level to ensure they are aligned. If not, simply loosen, but don't remove, the bolts/screws that hold the track to the wall and adjust the track. Recheck alignment with the level. Once the track is straight, refasten the bolts/screws.
- Check mounting brackets that hold the tracks to the walls. If they're loose, tighten the bolts/screws. With the door closed, check from inside the garage to see if there are dents, flat spots or crimping in the tracks. These can be pounded out with a rubber mallet, or hammer and block of wood; avoid using a metal hammer which could easily cause further damage. Badly damaged tracks need to be replaced by a professional garage door installer.
- Check for loose hardware and tighten where needed. Check swing-up doors for loose screws on plates where the spring is mounted. Check roll-up doors for loose screws on hinges that hold sections of the door together. Sagging of the door on one side can be corrected by securing hinges with new screws; filling enlarged holes with wood filler and longer screws where necessary.
- Check springs and adjust tension on swing-up doors by moving the spring hook to the next hole. Tension on roll-up door springs that have a pulley can be adjusted by pulling the cable through the plate at the top of the door. Re-knot at the end to maintain tension.
Caution: A roll-up door that has a single torsion spring at the center of the door cannot be repaired by the average homeowner. The tension on the spring is great enough to cause serious injury. Doors with this type spring need to be repaired by a professional garage repairman.
- Use a heavy-duty, concentrated household cleaner to remove grease and dirt from tracks and rollers; dry thoroughly.
- Lubricate all moving parts with 10W30 motor oil. Apply oil to a rag and lubricate tracks paying special attention to sections that curve. Next use the oily rag to lubricate the springs. Wipe excess oil off springs with a clean rag.
Routine maintenance and simple garage door repairs are within the realm of the handy homeowner. Major repairs and installations are performed best by trained and experienced professionals.
1. Garage Doors and Openers... Installation, Maintenance and Repair. Retrieved July 17, 2009, from The Natural Handyman Web site: http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infgar/infgar1.html
2. "Have You Inspected Your Garage Door Lately?" Garage Door Parts, LLC, Passaic, NJ 07055 - www.garagedoorsupply.com
Complete Guide to Choosing, Installing, and Maintaining Roller Garage Doors