Things do not end with buying and installing a new garage door in Willawong. The thing is, it require proper care and maintenance for them to retain their top quality and condition. In fact, even if you purchased a topnotch brand and a heavy-duty material, it is still a must that you do the right things to care for your garage door. Here are some tips on door maintenance that will help you keep the door looking and working like it is brand new and minimising the need for garage door repairs.
Garage Door Repair – Problems and Fixes in Willawong
Your standard sized single car garage door is usually eight or 9 feet wide and 7 feet tall. Even a 9 foot wide garage is difficult to park a mid-or large sized car in on a regular basis. Most of the time, there is relatively little that you can do about the width or the height of these garage doors.
You're usually stuck with what you have. This isn't going to be the case, if you're planning on building a new garage, for your new home. Now your garage can be any size that your property will allow and this will allow you to create a garage door opening that will fit your needs.
Your average two-car garage door is usually 16 feet wide and 7 feet tall. This usually gives you plenty of room to park two midsize vehicles and with little difficulty. This is the most common door size and the two-car garage is the most common garage built.
Now what about custom garage doors, how much do they cost and do I really need one? Some of these garage doors can be pricey, but you really need to give this some serious thought. One car accident, while parking your vehicles in your garage, could cost the same amount of money as two custom garage doors.
The first thing you will need to do, is to ask yourself how large of a vehicle, will you actually be parking in your new garage. If you're going to store a large boat, RV, trailers or even a large truck, and a custom door is the only way that you will be able to park these vehicles inside of it.
The larger garage doors will usually be built out of different material than your average single or two car garage doors. Usually these doors will be made from a heavier metal and a large chain will be used to open and close them.
One of the best ways to verify the garage door size, for your new garage, would be to park your vehicle's, inside of another garage, that could be similar to the size of the garage that you are going to build. This will give you a pretty good idea and help you with your planning.
If you don't know anyone who has a garage that you can park your vehicle's side-by-side and measure the desired width that you would like a door opening to be. This could save you a lot of frustration, especially if you park your vehicles in your garage on a daily basis.
Proper garage door size planning and garage width, height and length, can save you a lot of frustration in the future.
Let the Light in With Garage Door Window Panels
Things do not end with buying and installing a new garage door. The thing is, it require proper care and maintenance for them to retain their top quality and condition. In fact, even if you purchased a topnotch brand and a heavy-duty material, it is still a must that you do the right things to care for your garage door. Here are some tips on door maintenance that will help you keep the door looking and working like it is brand new.
1. Wipe with a clean cloth regularly. Doing this once a month is good enough. This should be done to prevent damage such as rusting that is usually caused by foreign matter adhering to the surface of the door. For stubborn stains and debris, dip the cloth in a mild household detergent diluted with water. Do not scrub the surface of the door with a rough material as it may leave unsightly scratches.
2. Apply car wax on the garage door. This is to help the surface repel dirt and keep its moisture. Of course, this would have to depend on the material of the garage door. Check out the manual first before doing this tip. Wooden garage doors, for example, may require a different solution.
3. Check the door for any signs of defect or broken components. Inspect the parts of the door such as the rubber astragal, opening mechanism, bracket button, hinges, steel rollers, and so on.
4. Lubricate the moving parts with light household oil or a lubricant specifically designed for this purpose.
5. Have a professional repair your garage if you detect any signs of malfunction or broken parts. It is not safe to leave your garage door like that when you already know that there is something wrong with it. Have it repaired immediately to prevent any injuries.
6. Test the safety reverse mechanism of the door at least once a month. This safety reverse mechanism ensures that when something blocks the door, it would reverse back to the open position to prevent injuries and even death. Test this mechanism by blocking the door with an item like a roll of paper towels. If it does not revert back to its original opening position and ends up crushing the paper towels, the door needs to be re-adjusted or fixed immediately.
7. Tighten screws and nuts on bolts twice a year. See to it that the slide lock is not extended past the end stile of the door in its unlocked position.
8. See if the door opens and closes with no difficulty. It should flow smoothly. If something seems stuck, check out what is wrong and have it repaired as soon as possible.
Aside from proper care and maintenance of the garage door, it is also a must that you give the garage area a good revamp so it would look nice and wonderful. Clean up any clutter, paint the walls with a new color, and organize the tools and items-these are just few of the many things you can do to give your garage a makeover.
Repairing a Garage Door