Things do not end with buying and installing a new garage door in Virginia. The thing is, it require proper care and maintenance for them to retain their top quality and condition. In fact, even if you purchased a topnotch brand and a heavy-duty material, it is still a must that you do the right things to care for your garage door. Here are some tips on door maintenance that will help you keep the door looking and working like it is brand new and minimising the need for garage door repairs.
Garage Door Repair – Problems and Fixes in Virginia
Having a garage door in the garage is really worthwhile, especially if the door is controlled remotely by the car. This is not only for ease parking but for safety and security as well. You can easily drive inside the garage while the door opens and safely closes right after your car passed through it.
Garage doors may appear to be one simple device but there are a lot of minor details in it that make it one unique necessity for your garage. So when you handle door repairs, you can do it by yourself if you have the ability to do it or you could just hire someone from a repair company who is expert and knowledgeable with the different types, details, and function of the door.
Before you decide who will do the repair, analyze the problems first. There are times the problem is just simple and may need minor repair which you can do alone. Some common problems of the garage door are only related to it's automatic opening features. Automatic functions of the door work through the use of a sensor as remotely controlled from the car. The problem usually occurs if there is something blocking the eye of the sensor, probably a pool of dusts or dirt. It could also be because of some wire disconnection causing the sensor to malfunction. The door may also malfunction due to mechanical problems which include spring tension, track alignment, and many more.
The initial step is to check all the above-mentioned causes of problems. If the problems are minors, you might be able to repair it by yourself. But because the garage door is made up of complex designs and functions, you might need the help of repair experts.
There are a lot of companies and firms that offer services for garage door repairs. If you aim to have the best service for an effective and efficient long lasting garage door facility, you should hire the best technician so you will not worry about recurrence of problems. When looking for a technician or repair man to fix your door, always consider the expertise of the technician. He should have been doing the repairs for quite some time now making him familiar with different problems and appropriate solutions.
Most of the dealers of garage door repairs specialize in repairing any types of door problems, from manual to automatic types of doors. It takes a skilled and experienced technician to be able to analyze properly and fix efficiently the exact problem of any door.
Entrusting the repair of your garage door to a repair specialist is important as it will ensure that your door will work properly again and that recurrence of problems would be prevented. This will also make you comfortable knowing that your garage door is working at its best to secure your house and your cars.
How To Pick The Best Garage Door
Your garage should be as usable, organized, and welcoming as the rest of your home. You park your car in it. You use it for storage. You may even keep your family's bikes and sports equipment there. So it's a major nuisance when your garage door won't open properly.
Noisy garage doors are also annoying, especially if you have to leave for work early, and your entire family is woken by the squeaking.
Garage door maintenance might not be a top priority, but if you check all the working parts annually as part of a winterizing project, you'll never have to wrestle with a groaning garage door again.
What causes garage door rollers to stick?
• Dry rollers can cause the door to only open part way. Dry rollers can also make the door squeak when it's opening. The rollers must be lubricated.
• Rusty rollers can stick. The rust must be removed. If your garage is in a high-moisture environment, the rollers may be prone to rust. You can prevent rust-caused problems by replacing steel rollers with stainless steel or zinc plated ones.
• Worn rollers may create a loud, annoying popping sound when the door operates. These rollers must be replaced.
• Loose weatherstripping could jam against the sides of the door, and make it stick. It must be fixed.
How to fix and maintain garage door rollers
• Soak stuck rollers in kerosene. Use an old toothbrush to work the kerosene into all the parts. Wipe all the parts clean with a cloth.
• Scrub rusty rollers with steel wool to remove any rust. Wipe flecks of rust away.
• Lubricate dry rollers by applying WD-40 or 3 in 1 motor oil to the rollers, tracks, and hinges
• Tighten all screws and bolts which many have been vibrated loose over time.
How to replace garage door rollers
1. Open your garage door completely. Disconnect the door from your power opener. Unplug the garage door opener for safety.
2. Place a clamp on the track about 2/3 of the way up the door opening.
3. Bend the track slightly open with pliers.
4. Line up the first old roller with this opening. Wedge a screwdriver between the roller and the track, and pry the old roller out of the track. Remove this old roller.
5. Insert a new roller into the track.
6. Roll the door down to the next roller, and repeat these steps for the bottom rollers.
7. Bend the track back into alignment and roll the door all the way open.
8. Bend a section of the track in the middle of the overhead section with pliers. Make sure the door does not slip from the track and hit you.
9. Pry out and replace the last roller.
10. Bend the track back into shape with the pliers.
11. Remove the clamp from the track.
12. Plug the door opener back in, and reattach it to the door.
13. Close the door, watching for misalignment of the track. Adjust the bolts if needed.
Garage Door Motors - Choices and Maintenance