Things do not end with buying and installing a new garage door in Upper Brookfield. The thing is, it require proper care and maintenance for them to retain their top quality and condition. In fact, even if you purchased a topnotch brand and a heavy-duty material, it is still a must that you do the right things to care for your garage door. Here are some tips on door maintenance that will help you keep the door looking and working like it is brand new and minimising the need for garage door repairs.
Garage Door Repair – Problems and Fixes in Upper Brookfield
Things do not end with buying and installing a new garage door. The thing is, it require proper care and maintenance for them to retain their top quality and condition. In fact, even if you purchased a topnotch brand and a heavy-duty material, it is still a must that you do the right things to care for your garage door. Here are some tips on door maintenance that will help you keep the door looking and working like it is brand new.
1. Wipe with a clean cloth regularly. Doing this once a month is good enough. This should be done to prevent damage such as rusting that is usually caused by foreign matter adhering to the surface of the door. For stubborn stains and debris, dip the cloth in a mild household detergent diluted with water. Do not scrub the surface of the door with a rough material as it may leave unsightly scratches.
2. Apply car wax on the garage door. This is to help the surface repel dirt and keep its moisture. Of course, this would have to depend on the material of the garage door. Check out the manual first before doing this tip. Wooden garage doors, for example, may require a different solution.
3. Check the door for any signs of defect or broken components. Inspect the parts of the door such as the rubber astragal, opening mechanism, bracket button, hinges, steel rollers, and so on.
4. Lubricate the moving parts with light household oil or a lubricant specifically designed for this purpose.
5. Have a professional repair your garage if you detect any signs of malfunction or broken parts. It is not safe to leave your garage door like that when you already know that there is something wrong with it. Have it repaired immediately to prevent any injuries.
6. Test the safety reverse mechanism of the door at least once a month. This safety reverse mechanism ensures that when something blocks the door, it would reverse back to the open position to prevent injuries and even death. Test this mechanism by blocking the door with an item like a roll of paper towels. If it does not revert back to its original opening position and ends up crushing the paper towels, the door needs to be re-adjusted or fixed immediately.
7. Tighten screws and nuts on bolts twice a year. See to it that the slide lock is not extended past the end stile of the door in its unlocked position.
8. See if the door opens and closes with no difficulty. It should flow smoothly. If something seems stuck, check out what is wrong and have it repaired as soon as possible.
Aside from proper care and maintenance of the garage door, it is also a must that you give the garage area a good revamp so it would look nice and wonderful. Clean up any clutter, paint the walls with a new color, and organize the tools and items-these are just few of the many things you can do to give your garage a makeover.
Garage Doors - DIY Fitting
Adding doors to garages in one's homes is one of the most popular home improvement projects that home owners in many countries seem to be undertaking these days. There are a number of reasons why so many house owners seem to be zeroing in on garage doors as one of the best things that they can add to their homes.
The first of course is safety. Garages that are built into homes are and always have been one of the most weak areas of household security and if there is a break-in in a house that has an integrated garage more often than not the garage will have been the point of entry as garages are notoriously weak. There are many ways to get around this weakness. Some people add security and surveillance systems to their homes, others fit burglar alarms in their garages but the former solution can be prohibitively expensive and out of the reach of many home owners in these tough economic times. The latter solution of a burglar alarm is not necessarily a great one. What home owners have realised that the simple act of retro fitting their garage with a set of heavy duty garage doors is one of the easiest and more cost effective way of greatly boosting the security of the garage and by extension of the entire house.
Roller garage doors are one of the most secure forms of garage doors and they have other advantages as well. They can be installed quickly and easily with minimum amount of breaking down and rebuilding necessary and hence they are a great choice for people who want to retrofit existing garages with new doors. Roller garage doors also take very little space when they are opened because as the name suggests they roll up into a small space near the ceiling of the garage and hence unlike other types of doors that slide up into the roof, if you are using roller type doors you can have ceiling fans, lamps and other ceiling mounted fittings in your garage. This makes roller type garage doors especially convenient for garages that are being used as dens or home gymnasiums. To make these type of doors even better, they can be ordered with insulating material inserted into the individual metal slats of the door which makes the doors perfect for garages in colder climates that need to be used by people and not just to park automobiles.
Garage Door Opener Repairs