Things do not end with buying and installing a new garage door in Toowong. The thing is, it require proper care and maintenance for them to retain their top quality and condition. In fact, even if you purchased a topnotch brand and a heavy-duty material, it is still a must that you do the right things to care for your garage door. Here are some tips on door maintenance that will help you keep the door looking and working like it is brand new and minimising the need for garage door repairs.
Garage Door Repair – Problems and Fixes in Toowong
Things do not end with buying and installing a new garage door. The thing is, it require proper care and maintenance for them to retain their top quality and condition. In fact, even if you purchased a topnotch brand and a heavy-duty material, it is still a must that you do the right things to care for your garage door. Here are some tips on door maintenance that will help you keep the door looking and working like it is brand new.
1. Wipe with a clean cloth regularly. Doing this once a month is good enough. This should be done to prevent damage such as rusting that is usually caused by foreign matter adhering to the surface of the door. For stubborn stains and debris, dip the cloth in a mild household detergent diluted with water. Do not scrub the surface of the door with a rough material as it may leave unsightly scratches.
2. Apply car wax on the garage door. This is to help the surface repel dirt and keep its moisture. Of course, this would have to depend on the material of the garage door. Check out the manual first before doing this tip. Wooden garage doors, for example, may require a different solution.
3. Check the door for any signs of defect or broken components. Inspect the parts of the door such as the rubber astragal, opening mechanism, bracket button, hinges, steel rollers, and so on.
4. Lubricate the moving parts with light household oil or a lubricant specifically designed for this purpose.
5. Have a professional repair your garage if you detect any signs of malfunction or broken parts. It is not safe to leave your garage door like that when you already know that there is something wrong with it. Have it repaired immediately to prevent any injuries.
6. Test the safety reverse mechanism of the door at least once a month. This safety reverse mechanism ensures that when something blocks the door, it would reverse back to the open position to prevent injuries and even death. Test this mechanism by blocking the door with an item like a roll of paper towels. If it does not revert back to its original opening position and ends up crushing the paper towels, the door needs to be re-adjusted or fixed immediately.
7. Tighten screws and nuts on bolts twice a year. See to it that the slide lock is not extended past the end stile of the door in its unlocked position.
8. See if the door opens and closes with no difficulty. It should flow smoothly. If something seems stuck, check out what is wrong and have it repaired as soon as possible.
Aside from proper care and maintenance of the garage door, it is also a must that you give the garage area a good revamp so it would look nice and wonderful. Clean up any clutter, paint the walls with a new color, and organize the tools and items-these are just few of the many things you can do to give your garage a makeover.
Prevent Garage Door Replacement With Preventative Maintenance
Garage doors are an integral part of your house furnishing but unfortunately, most of the times they are left unattended to whenever a repair of the household is undertaken. Hence many people are faced with problems of the like of sticking or jammed doors, unwarranted opening of the doors or its not staying open.
As far as sticking or jammed doors are concerned, it is usually because of deformed frames or channels through which the door slides and they can be easily repaired without much hassle. Usually, with a simple toolkit of a hammer, a wrench a few nut and bolts and a screw driver, you can fix most of these problems by yourself. The erratic opening and closing of the door might be due to a depressed key in the opener control or there might be some problem with the opener circuit of the which can easily be fixed. But the problem arises when some major part of it develops a defect, for example, the gears of the door opener. In such cases, a more involved repair is required. Hopefully, the following steps would give you some useful insight about repairing and replacing the worn out gears in your opener.
You can understand if the gear has broken even though the motor is working properly and the torsion springs are intact. These gears, usually made of plastic, are among the weaker parts of the opener and can be damaged due to several reasons like old age, prolonged usage without maintenance, imbalance in the garage door or may be due to a manufacturing defect.
But, with a few simple equipments and following the instructions properly, you can change these gears on your own.
First and foremost, you should disconnect the electric supply to the garage door to prevent any chance of electrocution and also so that no one operates the door while you are working on it. Next, you should close the door manually and remove it from the pulley to ensure that the door does not accidentally hurt you while you are servicing it. Now you are ready to set about repairing your opener and replace the gears.
Now you need to open the retainer cap of the belt pulley and remove the sprocket. Now you can remove the chain or belt from the sprocket after marking its position and tape it to prevent it from getting twisted up and messy. Then remove the end covers, the drive gear, the retaining clip and the RPM sensor and also disconnect the motor. An assembly of nuts holds the motor to the shaft. You need to remove these nuts first. Once you have removed the motor from the drive shaft, you can remove the gear and replace it if necessary. Having replaced the gear, you need to start reassembling the entire system in the exactly opposite manner. Take care to see to it that each part goes into the right place to avoid any further problem with your garage door. Thus, we see that changing the worn out gears is a bit more involved. Hence, if you are not very confident about doing it yourself, you should call a professional garage door repair service to tend to the matter.
Important Garage Door Parts and Repairs