Things do not end with buying and installing a new garage door in Tennyson. The thing is, it require proper care and maintenance for them to retain their top quality and condition. In fact, even if you purchased a topnotch brand and a heavy-duty material, it is still a must that you do the right things to care for your garage door. Here are some tips on door maintenance that will help you keep the door looking and working like it is brand new and minimising the need for garage door repairs.
Garage Door Repair – Problems and Fixes in Tennyson
Garage doors normally open and close more than a dozen times every day. Routine maintenance is essential for continued proper functioning. Here's a checklist for routine maintenance and simple repairs every handy homeowner can perform without difficulty.
These procedures are recommended three or four times every year:
- Wash the exterior of the door with a stiff brush and mild detergent. Repaint or touch up peeling, chipped or cracked paint, especially if there is exposed wood.
- Use a vinyl cleaner on weather stripping around the bottom and frame. Lubricate with a silicone product to keep stripping flexible.
- Inspect rollers for damage. New rollers may be purchased from garage door dealers or at home improvement centers. Broken or worn rollers are easy to remove. First, use a socket wrench to loosen the bolts holding the roller hinge in place and remove damaged rollers. Insert replacement rollers and fasten hinge bolts.
- Check door tracks with a level to ensure they are aligned. If not, simply loosen, but don't remove, the bolts/screws that hold the track to the wall and adjust the track. Recheck alignment with the level. Once the track is straight, refasten the bolts/screws.
- Check mounting brackets that hold the tracks to the walls. If they're loose, tighten the bolts/screws. With the door closed, check from inside the garage to see if there are dents, flat spots or crimping in the tracks. These can be pounded out with a rubber mallet, or hammer and block of wood; avoid using a metal hammer which could easily cause further damage. Badly damaged tracks need to be replaced by a professional garage door installer.
- Check for loose hardware and tighten where needed. Check swing-up doors for loose screws on plates where the spring is mounted. Check roll-up doors for loose screws on hinges that hold sections of the door together. Sagging of the door on one side can be corrected by securing hinges with new screws; filling enlarged holes with wood filler and longer screws where necessary.
- Check springs and adjust tension on swing-up doors by moving the spring hook to the next hole. Tension on roll-up door springs that have a pulley can be adjusted by pulling the cable through the plate at the top of the door. Re-knot at the end to maintain tension.
Caution: A roll-up door that has a single torsion spring at the center of the door cannot be repaired by the average homeowner. The tension on the spring is great enough to cause serious injury. Doors with this type spring need to be repaired by a professional garage repairman.
- Use a heavy-duty, concentrated household cleaner to remove grease and dirt from tracks and rollers; dry thoroughly.
- Lubricate all moving parts with 10W30 motor oil. Apply oil to a rag and lubricate tracks paying special attention to sections that curve. Next use the oily rag to lubricate the springs. Wipe excess oil off springs with a clean rag.
Routine maintenance and simple garage door repairs are within the realm of the handy homeowner. Major repairs and installations are performed best by trained and experienced professionals.
1. Garage Doors and Openers... Installation, Maintenance and Repair. Retrieved July 17, 2009, from The Natural Handyman Web site: http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infgar/infgar1.html
2. "Have You Inspected Your Garage Door Lately?" Garage Door Parts, LLC, Passaic, NJ 07055 - www.garagedoorsupply.com
Garage Door Remotes
A first look at all of the parts and pieces that comprise a garage door can understandably intimidate you. The huge chunks of pieces of metal tracks, hinges, rollers, springs, cables, handles, struts, door panels and a heap of nuts, bolts and screws are enough to overwhelm even a hardened mechanic. We all know that the garage door is the biggest piece of equipment found in the average home. So a degree of apprehension is unavoidable when you first embark on a home improvement project involving installation of garage doors.
To help you deal with the job of regular assembling your garage doors, some eminent garage-door manufacturing companies have started to market user-friendly door kits. These come with easy to comprehend instructions. If you go through the instruction manual thoroughly and make an effort to understand the entire procedure before actually starting the work, it will be easier for you to complete the task successfully. Get yourself familiarized with all the terms; learn to recognize all the parts and the hardware, and your job will become simpler to execute.
However, one word of caution - do hire professional help for removing an existing garage door. The powerful springs that control the maneuverings of the door are under a lot of tension when the door is closed and can cause serious injuries. You must not even attempt to cut the cables attached with the spring or the spring itself on your own.
After the old door is removed, you would need to scrutinize the wood framing around the garage door opening. Ensure whether there exists any wood rot. The door track needs to be fastened with bolts to a solid framework. So any rotten wood should be promptly replaced.
Smooth operation of the door requires the tracks to be level and parallel. All the sections of the garage door are stacked over the first one. The first section of the garage door must be faultlessly level. If the new door is made of wood, cut the excess wood and sand the bottom of the door so it matches the slope of the garage floor.
Always make sure that you use permitted and standardized hardware provided by the garage door manufacturer. The bottom brackets that fix to the bottom corners of the first section must be firmly secured to the door. However, over-tightening might strip the bolts. Do bear in mind that the cables that hoist the door are connected to these brackets. The brackets are put through enormous lifting forces. Hence this can tear away from the door be hurled like missiles if not fastened properly.
The weight of a garage door, amassed with all the hardware components can easily reach 400 pounds or more. Hence, it is vital to make certain that the overhead track is strongly supported and in faultless configuration. Otherwise, when the door begins to go up the track may fall or the door may come out of the track and fall, causing critical injuries.
How to Fix Stuck Garage Door Rollers