Things do not end with buying and installing a new garage door in Tarragindi. The thing is, it require proper care and maintenance for them to retain their top quality and condition. In fact, even if you purchased a topnotch brand and a heavy-duty material, it is still a must that you do the right things to care for your garage door. Here are some tips on door maintenance that will help you keep the door looking and working like it is brand new and minimising the need for garage door repairs.
Garage Door Repair – Problems and Fixes in Tarragindi
Garage doors normally open and close more than a dozen times every day. Routine maintenance is essential for continued proper functioning. Here's a checklist for routine maintenance and simple repairs every handy homeowner can perform without difficulty.
These procedures are recommended three or four times every year:
- Wash the exterior of the door with a stiff brush and mild detergent. Repaint or touch up peeling, chipped or cracked paint, especially if there is exposed wood.
- Use a vinyl cleaner on weather stripping around the bottom and frame. Lubricate with a silicone product to keep stripping flexible.
- Inspect rollers for damage. New rollers may be purchased from garage door dealers or at home improvement centers. Broken or worn rollers are easy to remove. First, use a socket wrench to loosen the bolts holding the roller hinge in place and remove damaged rollers. Insert replacement rollers and fasten hinge bolts.
- Check door tracks with a level to ensure they are aligned. If not, simply loosen, but don't remove, the bolts/screws that hold the track to the wall and adjust the track. Recheck alignment with the level. Once the track is straight, refasten the bolts/screws.
- Check mounting brackets that hold the tracks to the walls. If they're loose, tighten the bolts/screws. With the door closed, check from inside the garage to see if there are dents, flat spots or crimping in the tracks. These can be pounded out with a rubber mallet, or hammer and block of wood; avoid using a metal hammer which could easily cause further damage. Badly damaged tracks need to be replaced by a professional garage door installer.
- Check for loose hardware and tighten where needed. Check swing-up doors for loose screws on plates where the spring is mounted. Check roll-up doors for loose screws on hinges that hold sections of the door together. Sagging of the door on one side can be corrected by securing hinges with new screws; filling enlarged holes with wood filler and longer screws where necessary.
- Check springs and adjust tension on swing-up doors by moving the spring hook to the next hole. Tension on roll-up door springs that have a pulley can be adjusted by pulling the cable through the plate at the top of the door. Re-knot at the end to maintain tension.
Caution: A roll-up door that has a single torsion spring at the center of the door cannot be repaired by the average homeowner. The tension on the spring is great enough to cause serious injury. Doors with this type spring need to be repaired by a professional garage repairman.
- Use a heavy-duty, concentrated household cleaner to remove grease and dirt from tracks and rollers; dry thoroughly.
- Lubricate all moving parts with 10W30 motor oil. Apply oil to a rag and lubricate tracks paying special attention to sections that curve. Next use the oily rag to lubricate the springs. Wipe excess oil off springs with a clean rag.
Routine maintenance and simple garage door repairs are within the realm of the handy homeowner. Major repairs and installations are performed best by trained and experienced professionals.
1. Garage Doors and Openers... Installation, Maintenance and Repair. Retrieved July 17, 2009, from The Natural Handyman Web site: http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infgar/infgar1.html
2. "Have You Inspected Your Garage Door Lately?" Garage Door Parts, LLC, Passaic, NJ 07055 - www.garagedoorsupply.com
Garage Door Repair: How to Stop Screeching and Grinding Noises
Grill features can be puzzling at first but once you grasp the idea it's a lot simpler. It's comprehensible if you have a hard time when you do not get what you are reading. While the language used when describing grills might seem like a foreign language and will not get any easier to read, understanding what the majority of what it means will help you make an informed decision.
BTU - is used to explain the heat value of fuels and the cooking power the grill has. You might need some simple math to determine the quantity of heat that your grill produces. A BTU is defined as the amount of heat it takes to raise one pound of water by one degree (60 °- 61 ° Fahrenheit).To find out the heat that your grill produces take the amount of space available for cooking (typically measured by square inch) and divide it by the total amount of BTU's. You will require at least 95 to 100 BTU's per square inch of cooking space to get your money's worth.
Another grill feature to consider is the dimension of the grilling surface. Grills come in a assortment of surface types and sizes. All of these various cooking surfaces can vary in size including BBQ surfaces, flat grills, and ribbed grills. Consider these preferences, and remember that some grills even come with the ability to swap the surfaces.
Hardiness and ease of cleaning are also important grill features to take into account. Charcoal grills are quite messy and more difficult to clean up then other grills but they are quite robust. Gas grills on the other hand are quite the contrary.
Portability is an imperative grill feature to deliberate if you ever do any outdoor grilling away from your residence. Natural gas grills require a fixed line so those are out of the question. Propane grills can be portable but you have to lug around the heavy propane tank as well. A charcoal grill is probably the best option for portability as they come in the smallest sizes available.
Safety is the harmless as well if you follow the same guideline. Charcoal is also very secure as there is no gas involved at all. If you still don't get all the information provided about the grill, it may be a good idea to speak with a professional.
Specialized stores designed for outdoor grills and outdoor grill accessories would be a great place to start. Department stores may also have professionals knowledgeable about outdoor grills, and chances are at least one employee in the store can help you, if on nothing else but by personal opinion.
Garage Door Torsion Spring Replacement - Is This a DIY Project Or Hired Out?