Things do not end with buying and installing a new garage door in Rocklea. The thing is, it require proper care and maintenance for them to retain their top quality and condition. In fact, even if you purchased a topnotch brand and a heavy-duty material, it is still a must that you do the right things to care for your garage door. Here are some tips on door maintenance that will help you keep the door looking and working like it is brand new and minimising the need for garage door repairs.
Garage Door Repair – Problems and Fixes in Rocklea
Adding doors to garages in one's homes is one of the most popular home improvement projects that home owners in many countries seem to be undertaking these days. There are a number of reasons why so many house owners seem to be zeroing in on garage doors as one of the best things that they can add to their homes.
The first of course is safety. Garages that are built into homes are and always have been one of the most weak areas of household security and if there is a break-in in a house that has an integrated garage more often than not the garage will have been the point of entry as garages are notoriously weak. There are many ways to get around this weakness. Some people add security and surveillance systems to their homes, others fit burglar alarms in their garages but the former solution can be prohibitively expensive and out of the reach of many home owners in these tough economic times. The latter solution of a burglar alarm is not necessarily a great one. What home owners have realised that the simple act of retro fitting their garage with a set of heavy duty garage doors is one of the easiest and more cost effective way of greatly boosting the security of the garage and by extension of the entire house.
Roller garage doors are one of the most secure forms of garage doors and they have other advantages as well. They can be installed quickly and easily with minimum amount of breaking down and rebuilding necessary and hence they are a great choice for people who want to retrofit existing garages with new doors. Roller garage doors also take very little space when they are opened because as the name suggests they roll up into a small space near the ceiling of the garage and hence unlike other types of doors that slide up into the roof, if you are using roller type doors you can have ceiling fans, lamps and other ceiling mounted fittings in your garage. This makes roller type garage doors especially convenient for garages that are being used as dens or home gymnasiums. To make these type of doors even better, they can be ordered with insulating material inserted into the individual metal slats of the door which makes the doors perfect for garages in colder climates that need to be used by people and not just to park automobiles.
How to Cook Barbeque Ribs
Garage doors normally open and close more than a dozen times every day. Routine maintenance is essential for continued proper functioning. Here's a checklist for routine maintenance and simple repairs every handy homeowner can perform without difficulty.
These procedures are recommended three or four times every year:
- Wash the exterior of the door with a stiff brush and mild detergent. Repaint or touch up peeling, chipped or cracked paint, especially if there is exposed wood.
- Use a vinyl cleaner on weather stripping around the bottom and frame. Lubricate with a silicone product to keep stripping flexible.
- Inspect rollers for damage. New rollers may be purchased from garage door dealers or at home improvement centers. Broken or worn rollers are easy to remove. First, use a socket wrench to loosen the bolts holding the roller hinge in place and remove damaged rollers. Insert replacement rollers and fasten hinge bolts.
- Check door tracks with a level to ensure they are aligned. If not, simply loosen, but don't remove, the bolts/screws that hold the track to the wall and adjust the track. Recheck alignment with the level. Once the track is straight, refasten the bolts/screws.
- Check mounting brackets that hold the tracks to the walls. If they're loose, tighten the bolts/screws. With the door closed, check from inside the garage to see if there are dents, flat spots or crimping in the tracks. These can be pounded out with a rubber mallet, or hammer and block of wood; avoid using a metal hammer which could easily cause further damage. Badly damaged tracks need to be replaced by a professional garage door installer.
- Check for loose hardware and tighten where needed. Check swing-up doors for loose screws on plates where the spring is mounted. Check roll-up doors for loose screws on hinges that hold sections of the door together. Sagging of the door on one side can be corrected by securing hinges with new screws; filling enlarged holes with wood filler and longer screws where necessary.
- Check springs and adjust tension on swing-up doors by moving the spring hook to the next hole. Tension on roll-up door springs that have a pulley can be adjusted by pulling the cable through the plate at the top of the door. Re-knot at the end to maintain tension.
Caution: A roll-up door that has a single torsion spring at the center of the door cannot be repaired by the average homeowner. The tension on the spring is great enough to cause serious injury. Doors with this type spring need to be repaired by a professional garage repairman.
- Use a heavy-duty, concentrated household cleaner to remove grease and dirt from tracks and rollers; dry thoroughly.
- Lubricate all moving parts with 10W30 motor oil. Apply oil to a rag and lubricate tracks paying special attention to sections that curve. Next use the oily rag to lubricate the springs. Wipe excess oil off springs with a clean rag.
Routine maintenance and simple garage door repairs are within the realm of the handy homeowner. Major repairs and installations are performed best by trained and experienced professionals.
1. Garage Doors and Openers... Installation, Maintenance and Repair. Retrieved July 17, 2009, from The Natural Handyman Web site: http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infgar/infgar1.html
2. "Have You Inspected Your Garage Door Lately?" Garage Door Parts, LLC, Passaic, NJ 07055 - www.garagedoorsupply.com
The Importance of Garage Door Maintenance