Things do not end with buying and installing a new garage door in Port of Brisbane. The thing is, it require proper care and maintenance for them to retain their top quality and condition. In fact, even if you purchased a topnotch brand and a heavy-duty material, it is still a must that you do the right things to care for your garage door. Here are some tips on door maintenance that will help you keep the door looking and working like it is brand new and minimising the need for garage door repairs.
Garage Door Repair – Problems and Fixes in Port of Brisbane
A garage door (commonly called an overhead door) is one of the best things you can have in your home. They are extremely convenient and they can last a lifetime with proper care and maintenance. Many people are unaware, however, that their garage door needs regular service, much like their automobile.
In this article, I will discuss one of my most common service calls, which is complaints of loud, grinding and scraping noises coming from their garage door. This is usually caused by old, worn out doors that have not received the proper maintenance over the years. The cause of these types of noises are varied, but here are the main reasons these sounds could be occurring:
- rust may have formed in the metal hinges of the garage door
- your overhead door bolts and nuts have worn out and need replaced
- extreme temperatures may have warped the door and affected the hinge functioning or placement
- the screw in your screw drive type door has not been sprayed (oiled)
- the garage door has not been properly maintained or serviced on a regular basis
In some cases, the use of a good silicone spray on springs, hinges and tracks can quiet a noisy overhead door. But this will largely depend on what type of door you have in your home. If this has not been done on a regular basis, serious damage may have been caused, requiring additional service. It's always important that if you are not sure exactly what type of garage door you have, you should immediately contact a professional so that the damage does not become worse and more costly to you. Never let grinding and screeching noise go on too long before you contact an overhead door professional in your area. The fact is, most garage door service needs can amount to minor repairs over placement, if attended to in time.
Before hiring a garage door service, there are a few things you should consider.
- make sure the door repair company is experienced in all types of overhead doors
- make sure the company you hire is experienced with the causes and repairs associated with grinding and screeching noises.
- Make sure the company you call is licensed to conduct business in your area. There are a lot of "fly by night" companies that do not have proper licenses. Always beware and insist on obtaining business license information.
- Be sure the garage door company can finish the repairs the same day service is started. I have heard horror stories of overhead door companies starting jobs and never returning to finish them.
- Be sure to check prices and understand the services fees up front. Most reputable companies will provide free estimates and free service calls with repair work.
Garage Doors - DIY Fitting
Your garage door is a vital part of your home. It is not just a part of the architectural aesthetics, but a functional element that allows you to enter and exit your home without needing to go out in the elements. Even better, having one means you can lower risks of a break in as it provides another layer of protection. However, they do not last forever, and will occasionally need to be repaired, or even replaced.
Thankfully, though, there are steps you can take to minimize the need to replace this element of your home. By knowing these simple maintenance tips, and staying ahead of any potential repairs, you can lower the need to deal with a replacement scenario, as well as keep your family safer.
Minimizing the Need for Garage Door Replacement
· Did you know that the average garage doors opens and closes approximately 1,000 times a year? Yep, that's a lot of usage! So, take time to check the hardware and tighten any loose bolts or screws that may be vibrated loose.
· Check its balance. Because this door is used so often, it can sometimes become unbalanced. This will cause it to work harder and can shorten its lifespan. To check for this disconnect the opener by pulling the release handle (usually a red cord), and manually move the door about halfway up. If it doesn't stay put, the counterweight system (springs) are improperly balanced. This is type of repair should be handled by a professional!
· The rollers on your garage door can get worn out after time. At least twice a year, check for worn, chipped, or cracked rollers. Should you notice wear and tear on them, have them replaced.
· At least once a year, pull out the oil can or other lubricant, and make sure that all the moving parts of your garage door are greased properly.
· Check the cables- visually! Do not attempt to repair these yourself as the results can be fatal. However, if the cables appear loose, frayed or have some other type of damage, call in a pro.
Taking time to stay ahead of problems with your garage doors, means minimizing the need to replace the door. However, should you find yourself in need of a new garage door; talk to your area installers to learn what type of door will best work for your scenario. But whatever you do, make time to ensure that you are doing these preventative maintenance jobs so that you ensure that your garage door will last for many years.
Port of Brisbane
Garage Door Materials - Pros and Cons