Things do not end with buying and installing a new garage door in Petrie Terrace. The thing is, it require proper care and maintenance for them to retain their top quality and condition. In fact, even if you purchased a topnotch brand and a heavy-duty material, it is still a must that you do the right things to care for your garage door. Here are some tips on door maintenance that will help you keep the door looking and working like it is brand new and minimising the need for garage door repairs.
Garage Door Repair – Problems and Fixes in Petrie Terrace
Things do not end with buying and installing a new garage door. The thing is, it require proper care and maintenance for them to retain their top quality and condition. In fact, even if you purchased a topnotch brand and a heavy-duty material, it is still a must that you do the right things to care for your garage door. Here are some tips on door maintenance that will help you keep the door looking and working like it is brand new.
1. Wipe with a clean cloth regularly. Doing this once a month is good enough. This should be done to prevent damage such as rusting that is usually caused by foreign matter adhering to the surface of the door. For stubborn stains and debris, dip the cloth in a mild household detergent diluted with water. Do not scrub the surface of the door with a rough material as it may leave unsightly scratches.
2. Apply car wax on the garage door. This is to help the surface repel dirt and keep its moisture. Of course, this would have to depend on the material of the garage door. Check out the manual first before doing this tip. Wooden garage doors, for example, may require a different solution.
3. Check the door for any signs of defect or broken components. Inspect the parts of the door such as the rubber astragal, opening mechanism, bracket button, hinges, steel rollers, and so on.
4. Lubricate the moving parts with light household oil or a lubricant specifically designed for this purpose.
5. Have a professional repair your garage if you detect any signs of malfunction or broken parts. It is not safe to leave your garage door like that when you already know that there is something wrong with it. Have it repaired immediately to prevent any injuries.
6. Test the safety reverse mechanism of the door at least once a month. This safety reverse mechanism ensures that when something blocks the door, it would reverse back to the open position to prevent injuries and even death. Test this mechanism by blocking the door with an item like a roll of paper towels. If it does not revert back to its original opening position and ends up crushing the paper towels, the door needs to be re-adjusted or fixed immediately.
7. Tighten screws and nuts on bolts twice a year. See to it that the slide lock is not extended past the end stile of the door in its unlocked position.
8. See if the door opens and closes with no difficulty. It should flow smoothly. If something seems stuck, check out what is wrong and have it repaired as soon as possible.
Aside from proper care and maintenance of the garage door, it is also a must that you give the garage area a good revamp so it would look nice and wonderful. Clean up any clutter, paint the walls with a new color, and organize the tools and items-these are just few of the many things you can do to give your garage a makeover.
Garage Door Openers - Which One is Right For You?
Doors for garages can be a mixed blessing. On one hand, they make things quite simple when you return home after a long day at work. On the other, problems can be frustrating and expensive. Before you call a professional for garage door service, make sure that you are not dealing with a problem you can actually fix on your own. Several problems can be fixed with a little it of troubleshooting, saving you the expense and hassle of calling a professional contractor.
Doors that will not open and are equipped with an electric opener are a common problem. The first thing to check is always the clicker that you use to open these doors. Change the battery and inspect the remote for problems. If it has problems that you can fix, then fix them and you will be in good shape. If changing the battery and fixing any visible problems does not fix the issue, check the door itself and the opening apparatus for any visible problems. If you find some that you can fix, do so. If not, it is time to call a garage door service provider.
Doors That Stick
Doors that stick are often due to a problem with the metal rollers and hinges. If the tracks get dirty or the rollers lack lubrication, then you can easily fix the problem by cleaning the tracks and lubricating the rollers. You can find videos to show you how to do this online. Of course, you can call a professional garage door service provider to do this for you, but it may not be worth the cost.
Doors That Fall When Closed
If you press the button to close your door, and the door falls instead of closing slowly, then you may need new extension springs. These can be a bit complicated to replace if you have never done it before. Make sure you carefully research the job before you attempt to do it without professional help. If you need it, call a professional to do the job for you. It is always better to have a professional then to injure yourself or your doors just to save a few bucks.
These are the most common problems that you can tackle on a DIY level. If you are experiencing other problems, you are probably best off calling a garage door service professional. Electrical problems or major components that have gone bad need to be professionally replaced, not tackled by a DIY individual. Remember, safety is always your number one priority when dealing with a large component of your home like doors. If you do not feel like you can tackle the job safely, call a professional. But for smaller problems, professionals and the expense involved may not be completely necessary.
Garage Door Repair Tips