Things do not end with buying and installing a new garage door in New Farm. The thing is, it require proper care and maintenance for them to retain their top quality and condition. In fact, even if you purchased a topnotch brand and a heavy-duty material, it is still a must that you do the right things to care for your garage door. Here are some tips on door maintenance that will help you keep the door looking and working like it is brand new and minimising the need for garage door repairs.
Garage Door Repair – Problems and Fixes in New Farm
Your garage should be as usable, organized, and welcoming as the rest of your home. You park your car in it. You use it for storage. You may even keep your family's bikes and sports equipment there. So it's a major nuisance when your garage door won't open properly.
Noisy garage doors are also annoying, especially if you have to leave for work early, and your entire family is woken by the squeaking.
Garage door maintenance might not be a top priority, but if you check all the working parts annually as part of a winterizing project, you'll never have to wrestle with a groaning garage door again.
What causes garage door rollers to stick?
• Dry rollers can cause the door to only open part way. Dry rollers can also make the door squeak when it's opening. The rollers must be lubricated.
• Rusty rollers can stick. The rust must be removed. If your garage is in a high-moisture environment, the rollers may be prone to rust. You can prevent rust-caused problems by replacing steel rollers with stainless steel or zinc plated ones.
• Worn rollers may create a loud, annoying popping sound when the door operates. These rollers must be replaced.
• Loose weatherstripping could jam against the sides of the door, and make it stick. It must be fixed.
How to fix and maintain garage door rollers
• Soak stuck rollers in kerosene. Use an old toothbrush to work the kerosene into all the parts. Wipe all the parts clean with a cloth.
• Scrub rusty rollers with steel wool to remove any rust. Wipe flecks of rust away.
• Lubricate dry rollers by applying WD-40 or 3 in 1 motor oil to the rollers, tracks, and hinges
• Tighten all screws and bolts which many have been vibrated loose over time.
How to replace garage door rollers
1. Open your garage door completely. Disconnect the door from your power opener. Unplug the garage door opener for safety.
2. Place a clamp on the track about 2/3 of the way up the door opening.
3. Bend the track slightly open with pliers.
4. Line up the first old roller with this opening. Wedge a screwdriver between the roller and the track, and pry the old roller out of the track. Remove this old roller.
5. Insert a new roller into the track.
6. Roll the door down to the next roller, and repeat these steps for the bottom rollers.
7. Bend the track back into alignment and roll the door all the way open.
8. Bend a section of the track in the middle of the overhead section with pliers. Make sure the door does not slip from the track and hit you.
9. Pry out and replace the last roller.
10. Bend the track back into shape with the pliers.
11. Remove the clamp from the track.
12. Plug the door opener back in, and reattach it to the door.
13. Close the door, watching for misalignment of the track. Adjust the bolts if needed.
Garage Door Repair - Problems and Fixes
Things do not end with buying and installing a new garage door. The thing is, it require proper care and maintenance for them to retain their top quality and condition. In fact, even if you purchased a topnotch brand and a heavy-duty material, it is still a must that you do the right things to care for your garage door. Here are some tips on door maintenance that will help you keep the door looking and working like it is brand new.
1. Wipe with a clean cloth regularly. Doing this once a month is good enough. This should be done to prevent damage such as rusting that is usually caused by foreign matter adhering to the surface of the door. For stubborn stains and debris, dip the cloth in a mild household detergent diluted with water. Do not scrub the surface of the door with a rough material as it may leave unsightly scratches.
2. Apply car wax on the garage door. This is to help the surface repel dirt and keep its moisture. Of course, this would have to depend on the material of the garage door. Check out the manual first before doing this tip. Wooden garage doors, for example, may require a different solution.
3. Check the door for any signs of defect or broken components. Inspect the parts of the door such as the rubber astragal, opening mechanism, bracket button, hinges, steel rollers, and so on.
4. Lubricate the moving parts with light household oil or a lubricant specifically designed for this purpose.
5. Have a professional repair your garage if you detect any signs of malfunction or broken parts. It is not safe to leave your garage door like that when you already know that there is something wrong with it. Have it repaired immediately to prevent any injuries.
6. Test the safety reverse mechanism of the door at least once a month. This safety reverse mechanism ensures that when something blocks the door, it would reverse back to the open position to prevent injuries and even death. Test this mechanism by blocking the door with an item like a roll of paper towels. If it does not revert back to its original opening position and ends up crushing the paper towels, the door needs to be re-adjusted or fixed immediately.
7. Tighten screws and nuts on bolts twice a year. See to it that the slide lock is not extended past the end stile of the door in its unlocked position.
8. See if the door opens and closes with no difficulty. It should flow smoothly. If something seems stuck, check out what is wrong and have it repaired as soon as possible.
Aside from proper care and maintenance of the garage door, it is also a must that you give the garage area a good revamp so it would look nice and wonderful. Clean up any clutter, paint the walls with a new color, and organize the tools and items-these are just few of the many things you can do to give your garage a makeover.
Garage Door Installations and Services