Things do not end with buying and installing a new garage door in New Farm. The thing is, it require proper care and maintenance for them to retain their top quality and condition. In fact, even if you purchased a topnotch brand and a heavy-duty material, it is still a must that you do the right things to care for your garage door. Here are some tips on door maintenance that will help you keep the door looking and working like it is brand new and minimising the need for garage door repairs.
Garage Door Repair – Problems and Fixes in New Farm
Garage doors normally open and close more than a dozen times every day. Routine maintenance is essential for continued proper functioning. Here's a checklist for routine maintenance and simple repairs every handy homeowner can perform without difficulty.
These procedures are recommended three or four times every year:
- Wash the exterior of the door with a stiff brush and mild detergent. Repaint or touch up peeling, chipped or cracked paint, especially if there is exposed wood.
- Use a vinyl cleaner on weather stripping around the bottom and frame. Lubricate with a silicone product to keep stripping flexible.
- Inspect rollers for damage. New rollers may be purchased from garage door dealers or at home improvement centers. Broken or worn rollers are easy to remove. First, use a socket wrench to loosen the bolts holding the roller hinge in place and remove damaged rollers. Insert replacement rollers and fasten hinge bolts.
- Check door tracks with a level to ensure they are aligned. If not, simply loosen, but don't remove, the bolts/screws that hold the track to the wall and adjust the track. Recheck alignment with the level. Once the track is straight, refasten the bolts/screws.
- Check mounting brackets that hold the tracks to the walls. If they're loose, tighten the bolts/screws. With the door closed, check from inside the garage to see if there are dents, flat spots or crimping in the tracks. These can be pounded out with a rubber mallet, or hammer and block of wood; avoid using a metal hammer which could easily cause further damage. Badly damaged tracks need to be replaced by a professional garage door installer.
- Check for loose hardware and tighten where needed. Check swing-up doors for loose screws on plates where the spring is mounted. Check roll-up doors for loose screws on hinges that hold sections of the door together. Sagging of the door on one side can be corrected by securing hinges with new screws; filling enlarged holes with wood filler and longer screws where necessary.
- Check springs and adjust tension on swing-up doors by moving the spring hook to the next hole. Tension on roll-up door springs that have a pulley can be adjusted by pulling the cable through the plate at the top of the door. Re-knot at the end to maintain tension.
Caution: A roll-up door that has a single torsion spring at the center of the door cannot be repaired by the average homeowner. The tension on the spring is great enough to cause serious injury. Doors with this type spring need to be repaired by a professional garage repairman.
- Use a heavy-duty, concentrated household cleaner to remove grease and dirt from tracks and rollers; dry thoroughly.
- Lubricate all moving parts with 10W30 motor oil. Apply oil to a rag and lubricate tracks paying special attention to sections that curve. Next use the oily rag to lubricate the springs. Wipe excess oil off springs with a clean rag.
Routine maintenance and simple garage door repairs are within the realm of the handy homeowner. Major repairs and installations are performed best by trained and experienced professionals.
1. Garage Doors and Openers... Installation, Maintenance and Repair. Retrieved July 17, 2009, from The Natural Handyman Web site: http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infgar/infgar1.html
2. "Have You Inspected Your Garage Door Lately?" Garage Door Parts, LLC, Passaic, NJ 07055 - www.garagedoorsupply.com
Garage Door Service - Common Problems and Quick Fixes
Torsion springs are installed to lift most of the weight of a garage door so the door is able to be opened manually or with a remote opener. The springs wear out over time, and if you are handy with tools and repairs this could be a DIY project for you to have a ball with over a weekend. For others who are not so handy; there are repairmen who can replace the garage door torsion spring.
When attempting to replace the torsion spring, be sure to have a partner that can stand by for an extra set of hands or if anything should go wrong. If you decide to repair the garage door yourself, this article might provide some tips that can help you with the job.
Springs come in all different sizes. When you purchase your springs, be sure to get the ones that are the correct springs for the job. Consider the wire size, winding diameter, and length so it will provide the correct amount of torque. For safety reasons, be sure the spring is able to handle the weight it will bear. A spring popping off and hitting someone in the head is not a good scenario, so do this job right. It is a good idea to replace both springs at the same time so they will get equal wear and tear.
Compare prices at different shops and be sure that the shops carry the spring you need. If you can not find a spring for your needs, shop on line and find a provider on the internet. Have the measurements ready to help get the right size and length.
As you replace the springs it is a good time to check the ropes and pulleys or cables that are used to raise and lower the door. They get wear and tear as well. Removing the problems before they start will make the whole system work for many more years.
Check the door itself for stress problems and level hanging. Check the door for proper insulation and tighten all screws down. The rails need to be firmly affixed so that the pulleys do not have to struggle to do their job. The smooth raising and lowering of the door is made possible by the springs being able to pull and lower the weight of the garage door.
As you replace the garage door torsion spring be sure to have the equipment and tools on hand that you will need and place them in an area that is easily accessible to you. Once the job is complete, be sure to check your work. The door should run the rails smoothly and the spring should be strong enough and provide enough torque to easily lift and lower the door.
With attention to safety and purchasing the correct materials, you can replace your own garage door torsion spring. The spring and the rails of the pulley system are important to smooth operation. The rope or cable used needs to be in good, strong condition. Be careful and save yourself some money and replace your own garage door torsion spring.
Outdoor Grilling Tips - Grilling Features