Things do not end with buying and installing a new garage door in Mt Gravatt. The thing is, it require proper care and maintenance for them to retain their top quality and condition. In fact, even if you purchased a topnotch brand and a heavy-duty material, it is still a must that you do the right things to care for your garage door. Here are some tips on door maintenance that will help you keep the door looking and working like it is brand new and minimising the need for garage door repairs.
Garage Door Repair – Problems and Fixes in Mt Gravatt
Things do not end with buying and installing a new garage door. The thing is, it require proper care and maintenance for them to retain their top quality and condition. In fact, even if you purchased a topnotch brand and a heavy-duty material, it is still a must that you do the right things to care for your garage door. Here are some tips on door maintenance that will help you keep the door looking and working like it is brand new.
1. Wipe with a clean cloth regularly. Doing this once a month is good enough. This should be done to prevent damage such as rusting that is usually caused by foreign matter adhering to the surface of the door. For stubborn stains and debris, dip the cloth in a mild household detergent diluted with water. Do not scrub the surface of the door with a rough material as it may leave unsightly scratches.
2. Apply car wax on the garage door. This is to help the surface repel dirt and keep its moisture. Of course, this would have to depend on the material of the garage door. Check out the manual first before doing this tip. Wooden garage doors, for example, may require a different solution.
3. Check the door for any signs of defect or broken components. Inspect the parts of the door such as the rubber astragal, opening mechanism, bracket button, hinges, steel rollers, and so on.
4. Lubricate the moving parts with light household oil or a lubricant specifically designed for this purpose.
5. Have a professional repair your garage if you detect any signs of malfunction or broken parts. It is not safe to leave your garage door like that when you already know that there is something wrong with it. Have it repaired immediately to prevent any injuries.
6. Test the safety reverse mechanism of the door at least once a month. This safety reverse mechanism ensures that when something blocks the door, it would reverse back to the open position to prevent injuries and even death. Test this mechanism by blocking the door with an item like a roll of paper towels. If it does not revert back to its original opening position and ends up crushing the paper towels, the door needs to be re-adjusted or fixed immediately.
7. Tighten screws and nuts on bolts twice a year. See to it that the slide lock is not extended past the end stile of the door in its unlocked position.
8. See if the door opens and closes with no difficulty. It should flow smoothly. If something seems stuck, check out what is wrong and have it repaired as soon as possible.
Aside from proper care and maintenance of the garage door, it is also a must that you give the garage area a good revamp so it would look nice and wonderful. Clean up any clutter, paint the walls with a new color, and organize the tools and items-these are just few of the many things you can do to give your garage a makeover.
Garage Door Repair - Automatic Openers
Most homes will come attached with a garage. People may not care about the type of material their garage door is, but there are various reasons for using different materials.
In previous years, traditional wooden doors were the most popular choice for garage doors. Unfortunately, wood is not a very durable material for exposure to the elements over the years. Steel and vinyl are fast becoming the most popular choices in garage doors. This is because they are more durable and resistant to damage. We will discuss the differences between steel and vinyl so that you can make a choice of which material would be better for your garage door.
It is a fact that vinyl garage doors are more expensive to install then steel, but this is a good thing, as they are usually the longest lasting of the two substances. Steel will usually need to be replaced over a certain number of years, whilst vinyl can come with a lifetime guarantee. Some people prefer to use vinyl as it is more resistant to dents and scratches. When a stray ball or object hits a steel door, it can get dented. This is not a major problem with vinyl doors at all, unless they are in a cold climate. If it is very, very cold then any damages to the vinyl door could cause it to crack. Naturally you would need to take the climate you are living in into account before choosing the material for your door.
With regards to colour, most vinyl doors will have an integrated colour throughout the material. This means that any damages will not show up too clearly on the surface. Steel on the other hand, needs to be painted, making it more susceptible to showing damages. Even though this may seem to be a negative point, bear in mind that at least steel doors can be repainted to cover up any damages or scratches. Vinyl, on the other hand, cannot.
Even though people will not normally live in their garages, it is important to know that steel doors are better insulated than vinyl ones. If you would like to maintain a constant temperature in your garage, then you should consider installing a steel door. In the same breath, if you would like a specific colour for your garage door, then it would also be preferable to choose steel. Steel can be painted to resemble wood, but remember if you want a smooth finish then you need to consider vinyl.
At the end of the day the choice is yours. Only you will know what type of garage door will look good on your property. The most important thing is to take all the above considerations into account before choosing your material. Then the next thing that you will need to do is decide whether or not you would like an automated garage door or not.
Garage Doors - A Short Guide To The World Of Garage Doors