Things do not end with buying and installing a new garage door in Mt Crosby. The thing is, it require proper care and maintenance for them to retain their top quality and condition. In fact, even if you purchased a topnotch brand and a heavy-duty material, it is still a must that you do the right things to care for your garage door. Here are some tips on door maintenance that will help you keep the door looking and working like it is brand new and minimising the need for garage door repairs.
Garage Door Repair – Problems and Fixes in Mt Crosby
When people think of garage doors today, they usually picture automatic garage doors, and almost always the overhead door type of garage doors. Automatic garage doors are preferred to other types because of their convenience and safety. You operate the automatic garage doors with a garage door opener from the comfort and security of your vehicle.
As you near the automatic garage doors in your automobile, you simply press a button on the garage door opener and the automatic garage doors slide smoothly open. Once you've pulled your car inside and shut the motor off, you can operate the automatic garage doors with another signal from the garage door opener. You can use either the on site garage door opener, or the mobile unit that stays in your car.
Automatic garage doors are definitely a convenience when the weather is bad, or when you're coming home to an empty house. With a garage door opener and automatic garage doors, you don't need to get out of your automobile until the automatic garage door is closed and secured.
There are some disadvantages to using automatic garage doors though, especially with a garage door opener. Because the power in the remote unit is battery operated, you must make sure to have batteries for your remote garage door opener unit. Secondly, some signals may be close enough to those of your neighbor that more than one garage door opener can be activated at the same time.
Third, automatic garage doors occasionally do get "off the track" so that they no longer move up and down on the rails correctly. It can be difficult to accomplish the garage door repair to get the automatic garage doors back on the rails without an extra pair of hands, and in the meantime, the automatic garage doors may need to be left in an open position so that they cannot be secured. Garage door repair is a rather specialized service, but garage door repair should be provided by the manufacturer of your automatic garage door opener unit.
Automatic garage doors should have another safety feature. They should always have a automatic stop feature built in. This will stop the automatic garage doors from coming down on the back of your automobile, or on the neck or chest of a toddler. A panic stop button is provided on some units to prevent further damage to vehicles or other objects obstructing the path of the door.
The Importance of Garage Door Maintenance
Things do not end with buying and installing a new garage door. The thing is, it require proper care and maintenance for them to retain their top quality and condition. In fact, even if you purchased a topnotch brand and a heavy-duty material, it is still a must that you do the right things to care for your garage door. Here are some tips on door maintenance that will help you keep the door looking and working like it is brand new.
1. Wipe with a clean cloth regularly. Doing this once a month is good enough. This should be done to prevent damage such as rusting that is usually caused by foreign matter adhering to the surface of the door. For stubborn stains and debris, dip the cloth in a mild household detergent diluted with water. Do not scrub the surface of the door with a rough material as it may leave unsightly scratches.
2. Apply car wax on the garage door. This is to help the surface repel dirt and keep its moisture. Of course, this would have to depend on the material of the garage door. Check out the manual first before doing this tip. Wooden garage doors, for example, may require a different solution.
3. Check the door for any signs of defect or broken components. Inspect the parts of the door such as the rubber astragal, opening mechanism, bracket button, hinges, steel rollers, and so on.
4. Lubricate the moving parts with light household oil or a lubricant specifically designed for this purpose.
5. Have a professional repair your garage if you detect any signs of malfunction or broken parts. It is not safe to leave your garage door like that when you already know that there is something wrong with it. Have it repaired immediately to prevent any injuries.
6. Test the safety reverse mechanism of the door at least once a month. This safety reverse mechanism ensures that when something blocks the door, it would reverse back to the open position to prevent injuries and even death. Test this mechanism by blocking the door with an item like a roll of paper towels. If it does not revert back to its original opening position and ends up crushing the paper towels, the door needs to be re-adjusted or fixed immediately.
7. Tighten screws and nuts on bolts twice a year. See to it that the slide lock is not extended past the end stile of the door in its unlocked position.
8. See if the door opens and closes with no difficulty. It should flow smoothly. If something seems stuck, check out what is wrong and have it repaired as soon as possible.
Aside from proper care and maintenance of the garage door, it is also a must that you give the garage area a good revamp so it would look nice and wonderful. Clean up any clutter, paint the walls with a new color, and organize the tools and items-these are just few of the many things you can do to give your garage a makeover.
Outdoor Grilling Tips - Grilling Features