Things do not end with buying and installing a new garage door in Lytton. The thing is, it require proper care and maintenance for them to retain their top quality and condition. In fact, even if you purchased a topnotch brand and a heavy-duty material, it is still a must that you do the right things to care for your garage door. Here are some tips on door maintenance that will help you keep the door looking and working like it is brand new and minimising the need for garage door repairs.
Garage Door Repair – Problems and Fixes in Lytton
A garage door (commonly called an overhead door) is one of the best things you can have in your home. They are extremely convenient and they can last a lifetime with proper care and maintenance. Many people are unaware, however, that their garage door needs regular service, much like their automobile.
In this article, I will discuss one of my most common service calls, which is complaints of loud, grinding and scraping noises coming from their garage door. This is usually caused by old, worn out doors that have not received the proper maintenance over the years. The cause of these types of noises are varied, but here are the main reasons these sounds could be occurring:
- rust may have formed in the metal hinges of the garage door
- your overhead door bolts and nuts have worn out and need replaced
- extreme temperatures may have warped the door and affected the hinge functioning or placement
- the screw in your screw drive type door has not been sprayed (oiled)
- the garage door has not been properly maintained or serviced on a regular basis
In some cases, the use of a good silicone spray on springs, hinges and tracks can quiet a noisy overhead door. But this will largely depend on what type of door you have in your home. If this has not been done on a regular basis, serious damage may have been caused, requiring additional service. It's always important that if you are not sure exactly what type of garage door you have, you should immediately contact a professional so that the damage does not become worse and more costly to you. Never let grinding and screeching noise go on too long before you contact an overhead door professional in your area. The fact is, most garage door service needs can amount to minor repairs over placement, if attended to in time.
Before hiring a garage door service, there are a few things you should consider.
- make sure the door repair company is experienced in all types of overhead doors
- make sure the company you hire is experienced with the causes and repairs associated with grinding and screeching noises.
- Make sure the company you call is licensed to conduct business in your area. There are a lot of "fly by night" companies that do not have proper licenses. Always beware and insist on obtaining business license information.
- Be sure the garage door company can finish the repairs the same day service is started. I have heard horror stories of overhead door companies starting jobs and never returning to finish them.
- Be sure to check prices and understand the services fees up front. Most reputable companies will provide free estimates and free service calls with repair work.
Garage Door Installation - Successfully Assembling the Garage Door Parts
Garage doors are quite heavy and to facilitate the task of opening as well as closing these, garage door springs are required. These huge springs remain under tremendous tension and cables and rollers are also present to ease the task of lifting the doors. Safety concerns exist with these springs because of the size and tension that these devices are subject to. Proper maintenance is required to ensure that these springs last for several years in perfect working condition. Even if any one of the springs is damaged or broken, the device would not function properly and an immediate replacement is required at that stage. If you do not feel confident of doing this activity yourself you should take help of a professional.
Though certain adjustments can be done personally, it is suggested that for any major work / repair the garage-door technician is called. There are inherent dangers present in repairing these springs and an expert would be the man to deal with those issues. Some homeowners in the U.S. region always get injured in an effort to service / adjust these springs themselves. Springs that are improperly adjusted make the tasks of pulling the door open and shutting it down tough. Frayed cables, loose springs, damaged rollers / tracks are even deadlier as the very heavy garage door might abruptly come down causing fatal accidents.
Hence, regular inspection of the garage door and the attached hardware in a cautious manner is essential. Manuals are provided and by consulting these all the main components of the springs and the door must be checked. Detailed instructions are provided in the manuals regarding the components to be checked, the mechanism of those components, and the proper method of lubricating / adjusting the parts. Ensure that all bolts and nuts are fixed tightly and the mobile components can move freely. You should also meticulously look out for signs of any potential damage to any component. The stability of the track is crucial and it should not move when the door opens up or shuts down.
To check the tension of the spring, just open door halfway. If it remains fixed in this position, the tension is perfect. If door falls beneath this halfway mark, the spring's tension is excessively loose. If on the other hand, the door moves further up from this position then the tension is excessively tight.
Garage Heaters: Electric Versus Gas