Things do not end with buying and installing a new garage door in Kelvin Grove. The thing is, it require proper care and maintenance for them to retain their top quality and condition. In fact, even if you purchased a topnotch brand and a heavy-duty material, it is still a must that you do the right things to care for your garage door. Here are some tips on door maintenance that will help you keep the door looking and working like it is brand new and minimising the need for garage door repairs.
Garage Door Repair – Problems and Fixes in Kelvin Grove
A sliding garage door is probably the most functional, versatile, easy to use and secure garage door system that you can buy.
Sliding doors run in tracks that allow the door to slide away from the main garage entrance to a storage point that can be either, to the side of the door's opening, or in a more distant and remote resting position. The only limitation to where the door can slide to is the length of the track.
How sliding doors work
Sliding doors are made up from a number of hinged panels that allow them to turn or bend at corners and changes of angle. The panels are connected to each other on their vertical axis and vary in width dependent upon manufacturer.
Because this kind of door has a sectional construction is means that it can be produced in a massive range of fitting widths, i.e. to increase the width of a sliding door it is simply amended by additional vertical panels.
The sliding door panels are held in position at their top and bottom by runners that engage in a smooth running track. This track runs from the garage opening to the point where the door is stored when open. This may be immediately adjacent to the opening, or at some more convenient location where it does not cause an obstruction.
Most garage doors that operate a sliding mechanism have the track running within the garage, however it is possible to keep the track in front of the garage and some commercial applications favour this approach.
Why you might want to consider a sliding garage door
- A sliding door does not require roof space that could be used for storage.
- A sliding garage door does not need an opening zone within the garage or outside the garage (e.g. like an up and over door).
- A vehicle can be parked directly against a sliding door whilst still leaving the door operational.
- A sliding door does not need to be a perfect fit for the opening (like most other door types) as it needs to project a short distance either side of the opening.
- Sliding doors are easy to operate because the mass of the door is supported vertically on a track. For this reason they require a very little effort to move and this makes them perfect for all ages and genders.
- Sliding garage doors lend themselves to good security and there is an extensive range of locks and fittings that can see them not just locking into the track, but also being mechanically locked to a floor or ceiling.
- Sliding doors are perfect for electric automation using a wall mounted button or a remote control. They also have a lower energy requirement than most other door types (where the full weight of the door is lifted by the motor).
- Sliding garage doors are strong and tough and their extensive applications in the commercial sector reflect their long term durability and reliability.
- Sliding garage doors come in a range of aesthetic styles that make their sectional construction difficult to detect. They can incorporate glass panels or mimic the appearance of wood and their sectional construction means that they can contain thermal insulation.
- Sliding garage doors are one of only a couple of door types that are able to include a human access, side hinged door, within their sectional construction. This can be a real bonus if the door is regularly used for "human only" access as it enhances security and reduces heat loss.
Garage Door Repair: How to Stop Screeching and Grinding Noises
Your standard sized single car garage door is usually eight or 9 feet wide and 7 feet tall. Even a 9 foot wide garage is difficult to park a mid-or large sized car in on a regular basis. Most of the time, there is relatively little that you can do about the width or the height of these garage doors.
You're usually stuck with what you have. This isn't going to be the case, if you're planning on building a new garage, for your new home. Now your garage can be any size that your property will allow and this will allow you to create a garage door opening that will fit your needs.
Your average two-car garage door is usually 16 feet wide and 7 feet tall. This usually gives you plenty of room to park two midsize vehicles and with little difficulty. This is the most common door size and the two-car garage is the most common garage built.
Now what about custom garage doors, how much do they cost and do I really need one? Some of these garage doors can be pricey, but you really need to give this some serious thought. One car accident, while parking your vehicles in your garage, could cost the same amount of money as two custom garage doors.
The first thing you will need to do, is to ask yourself how large of a vehicle, will you actually be parking in your new garage. If you're going to store a large boat, RV, trailers or even a large truck, and a custom door is the only way that you will be able to park these vehicles inside of it.
The larger garage doors will usually be built out of different material than your average single or two car garage doors. Usually these doors will be made from a heavier metal and a large chain will be used to open and close them.
One of the best ways to verify the garage door size, for your new garage, would be to park your vehicle's, inside of another garage, that could be similar to the size of the garage that you are going to build. This will give you a pretty good idea and help you with your planning.
If you don't know anyone who has a garage that you can park your vehicle's side-by-side and measure the desired width that you would like a door opening to be. This could save you a lot of frustration, especially if you park your vehicles in your garage on a daily basis.
Proper garage door size planning and garage width, height and length, can save you a lot of frustration in the future.
Garage Door Repair - Automatic Openers