Things do not end with buying and installing a new garage door in Kelvin Grove. The thing is, it require proper care and maintenance for them to retain their top quality and condition. In fact, even if you purchased a topnotch brand and a heavy-duty material, it is still a must that you do the right things to care for your garage door. Here are some tips on door maintenance that will help you keep the door looking and working like it is brand new and minimising the need for garage door repairs.
Garage Door Repair – Problems and Fixes in Kelvin Grove
It can be overwhelming to walk into the garage and see the mess that has been accumulated over time if your space has been used as a dumping garage instead of being utilized as a parking space and as an additional storage area. What can be even more mind boggling than the mess itself is how to go about fixing it.
There are numerous companies in the garage design space that can help make the process a little easier and eve more customizable to meet your need. Garage Tek is one of the leaders in the field for garage storage systems and offer design and installation services, freeing you from the entire ordeal.
The process starts with a free consultation at your house where a consultant will review with you what they can do to give you additional storage space in your garage and what type of items they offer. The next step is for the consultant to conduct a thorough investigation of the garage, which includes checking the walls, ceiling as well as taking measurements for design specifications.
Now comes the easy part. It is time to let the representative know what your needs are and what are your wants. They are the experts in the field and will be able to work with your to make your vision become a reality. To help them do that, they use proprietary software that allows you to choose the right products and layout to get the most out of your garage space.
After the design part is over, they handle all of the installation themselves. This includes the removal of other items that may be currently on your garage walls, such as shelves, nails or cabinets. Having an experienced installer working on the job means they will be able to deal with any type of garage, whether it is bare studs to concrete walls to any other type of material you may have.
In addition to taking care of the installation and improving your storage space, they polish the room off with floor tiles to give the garage floor some pop plus extra durability.
Garage Door Torsion Spring Replacement - Is This a DIY Project Or Hired Out?
Garage doors normally open and close more than a dozen times every day. Routine maintenance is essential for continued proper functioning. Here's a checklist for routine maintenance and simple repairs every handy homeowner can perform without difficulty.
These procedures are recommended three or four times every year:
- Wash the exterior of the door with a stiff brush and mild detergent. Repaint or touch up peeling, chipped or cracked paint, especially if there is exposed wood.
- Use a vinyl cleaner on weather stripping around the bottom and frame. Lubricate with a silicone product to keep stripping flexible.
- Inspect rollers for damage. New rollers may be purchased from garage door dealers or at home improvement centers. Broken or worn rollers are easy to remove. First, use a socket wrench to loosen the bolts holding the roller hinge in place and remove damaged rollers. Insert replacement rollers and fasten hinge bolts.
- Check door tracks with a level to ensure they are aligned. If not, simply loosen, but don't remove, the bolts/screws that hold the track to the wall and adjust the track. Recheck alignment with the level. Once the track is straight, refasten the bolts/screws.
- Check mounting brackets that hold the tracks to the walls. If they're loose, tighten the bolts/screws. With the door closed, check from inside the garage to see if there are dents, flat spots or crimping in the tracks. These can be pounded out with a rubber mallet, or hammer and block of wood; avoid using a metal hammer which could easily cause further damage. Badly damaged tracks need to be replaced by a professional garage door installer.
- Check for loose hardware and tighten where needed. Check swing-up doors for loose screws on plates where the spring is mounted. Check roll-up doors for loose screws on hinges that hold sections of the door together. Sagging of the door on one side can be corrected by securing hinges with new screws; filling enlarged holes with wood filler and longer screws where necessary.
- Check springs and adjust tension on swing-up doors by moving the spring hook to the next hole. Tension on roll-up door springs that have a pulley can be adjusted by pulling the cable through the plate at the top of the door. Re-knot at the end to maintain tension.
Caution: A roll-up door that has a single torsion spring at the center of the door cannot be repaired by the average homeowner. The tension on the spring is great enough to cause serious injury. Doors with this type spring need to be repaired by a professional garage repairman.
- Use a heavy-duty, concentrated household cleaner to remove grease and dirt from tracks and rollers; dry thoroughly.
- Lubricate all moving parts with 10W30 motor oil. Apply oil to a rag and lubricate tracks paying special attention to sections that curve. Next use the oily rag to lubricate the springs. Wipe excess oil off springs with a clean rag.
Routine maintenance and simple garage door repairs are within the realm of the handy homeowner. Major repairs and installations are performed best by trained and experienced professionals.
1. Garage Doors and Openers... Installation, Maintenance and Repair. Retrieved July 17, 2009, from The Natural Handyman Web site: http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infgar/infgar1.html
2. "Have You Inspected Your Garage Door Lately?" Garage Door Parts, LLC, Passaic, NJ 07055 - www.garagedoorsupply.com
Repairing a Garage Door