Things do not end with buying and installing a new garage door in Kedron. The thing is, it require proper care and maintenance for them to retain their top quality and condition. In fact, even if you purchased a topnotch brand and a heavy-duty material, it is still a must that you do the right things to care for your garage door. Here are some tips on door maintenance that will help you keep the door looking and working like it is brand new and minimising the need for garage door repairs.
Garage Door Repair – Problems and Fixes in Kedron
It seems simple enough: Your garage door isn't working, so you decide to tackle the issue. You're not sure what the issue is. Maybe the opener has gone bad, or one of the tracks needs a bit of TLC. But, it's a garage door. How hard could it be to fix?
You'd be surprised.
Garage door repairs are among the most tricky to do, thanks to the mechanics and bulkiness of the door. In more cases than not, it's often best to go with a professional garage door repair company to fix problems and issues, instead of trying to tackle it by your lonesome. Why? There are several good reasons to give a few bucks to someone to take care of the problem instead of going it alone.
Reason No. 1: Safety
These types of doors are heavy. It's one of the reasons they're operated by openers with tracks, springs and so forth. They are so heavy that some have been injured - and worse - when they get trapped underneath a closing or falling door. These doors are a lovely convenience to have, but can be dangerous in the wrong circumstances.
Deciding to repair your garage door by yourself is a dangerous decision. What happens if something falls on you, and there is no one around to help? Most professional garage door companies send out at least two to three persons whenever a job needs done. They know that it takes more than one person to properly repair a garage door, so no injuries or hazards occur during the process.
Reason No. 2: Knowledge
How familiar are you with how this type of door works? Do you know what a torsion spring is? What troubleshooting processes should be done if the opener isn't working? If you're unable to answer these questions, then it's best to put down the tools and pick up a phone to get in touch with your local door repair provider.
The persons who work for companies in the industry know the mechanics - inside and outside - of how your door should work. Most have dealt with similar issues hundreds of times before, so they won't have to finagle or mess around with equipment or pieces in a vain effort to get your door working again.
Reason No. 3: Benefits
If you handle your own repairs, how are they safeguarded against possible future failures? Are you able to provide yourself a warranty for parts and labor? The answer is probably no, but repair companies can. Many offer significant warranties on parts and labor, so you won't have to worry about what to do should repairs be necessary again.
Roller Garage Door
Things do not end with buying and installing a new garage door. The thing is, it require proper care and maintenance for them to retain their top quality and condition. In fact, even if you purchased a topnotch brand and a heavy-duty material, it is still a must that you do the right things to care for your garage door. Here are some tips on door maintenance that will help you keep the door looking and working like it is brand new.
1. Wipe with a clean cloth regularly. Doing this once a month is good enough. This should be done to prevent damage such as rusting that is usually caused by foreign matter adhering to the surface of the door. For stubborn stains and debris, dip the cloth in a mild household detergent diluted with water. Do not scrub the surface of the door with a rough material as it may leave unsightly scratches.
2. Apply car wax on the garage door. This is to help the surface repel dirt and keep its moisture. Of course, this would have to depend on the material of the garage door. Check out the manual first before doing this tip. Wooden garage doors, for example, may require a different solution.
3. Check the door for any signs of defect or broken components. Inspect the parts of the door such as the rubber astragal, opening mechanism, bracket button, hinges, steel rollers, and so on.
4. Lubricate the moving parts with light household oil or a lubricant specifically designed for this purpose.
5. Have a professional repair your garage if you detect any signs of malfunction or broken parts. It is not safe to leave your garage door like that when you already know that there is something wrong with it. Have it repaired immediately to prevent any injuries.
6. Test the safety reverse mechanism of the door at least once a month. This safety reverse mechanism ensures that when something blocks the door, it would reverse back to the open position to prevent injuries and even death. Test this mechanism by blocking the door with an item like a roll of paper towels. If it does not revert back to its original opening position and ends up crushing the paper towels, the door needs to be re-adjusted or fixed immediately.
7. Tighten screws and nuts on bolts twice a year. See to it that the slide lock is not extended past the end stile of the door in its unlocked position.
8. See if the door opens and closes with no difficulty. It should flow smoothly. If something seems stuck, check out what is wrong and have it repaired as soon as possible.
Aside from proper care and maintenance of the garage door, it is also a must that you give the garage area a good revamp so it would look nice and wonderful. Clean up any clutter, paint the walls with a new color, and organize the tools and items-these are just few of the many things you can do to give your garage a makeover.
Garage Doors: The Different Types