Things do not end with buying and installing a new garage door in Kangaroo Point. The thing is, it require proper care and maintenance for them to retain their top quality and condition. In fact, even if you purchased a topnotch brand and a heavy-duty material, it is still a must that you do the right things to care for your garage door. Here are some tips on door maintenance that will help you keep the door looking and working like it is brand new and minimising the need for garage door repairs.
Garage Door Repair – Problems and Fixes in Kangaroo Point
Garage doors normally open and close more than a dozen times every day. Routine maintenance is essential for continued proper functioning. Here's a checklist for routine maintenance and simple repairs every handy homeowner can perform without difficulty.
These procedures are recommended three or four times every year:
- Wash the exterior of the door with a stiff brush and mild detergent. Repaint or touch up peeling, chipped or cracked paint, especially if there is exposed wood.
- Use a vinyl cleaner on weather stripping around the bottom and frame. Lubricate with a silicone product to keep stripping flexible.
- Inspect rollers for damage. New rollers may be purchased from garage door dealers or at home improvement centers. Broken or worn rollers are easy to remove. First, use a socket wrench to loosen the bolts holding the roller hinge in place and remove damaged rollers. Insert replacement rollers and fasten hinge bolts.
- Check door tracks with a level to ensure they are aligned. If not, simply loosen, but don't remove, the bolts/screws that hold the track to the wall and adjust the track. Recheck alignment with the level. Once the track is straight, refasten the bolts/screws.
- Check mounting brackets that hold the tracks to the walls. If they're loose, tighten the bolts/screws. With the door closed, check from inside the garage to see if there are dents, flat spots or crimping in the tracks. These can be pounded out with a rubber mallet, or hammer and block of wood; avoid using a metal hammer which could easily cause further damage. Badly damaged tracks need to be replaced by a professional garage door installer.
- Check for loose hardware and tighten where needed. Check swing-up doors for loose screws on plates where the spring is mounted. Check roll-up doors for loose screws on hinges that hold sections of the door together. Sagging of the door on one side can be corrected by securing hinges with new screws; filling enlarged holes with wood filler and longer screws where necessary.
- Check springs and adjust tension on swing-up doors by moving the spring hook to the next hole. Tension on roll-up door springs that have a pulley can be adjusted by pulling the cable through the plate at the top of the door. Re-knot at the end to maintain tension.
Caution: A roll-up door that has a single torsion spring at the center of the door cannot be repaired by the average homeowner. The tension on the spring is great enough to cause serious injury. Doors with this type spring need to be repaired by a professional garage repairman.
- Use a heavy-duty, concentrated household cleaner to remove grease and dirt from tracks and rollers; dry thoroughly.
- Lubricate all moving parts with 10W30 motor oil. Apply oil to a rag and lubricate tracks paying special attention to sections that curve. Next use the oily rag to lubricate the springs. Wipe excess oil off springs with a clean rag.
Routine maintenance and simple garage door repairs are within the realm of the handy homeowner. Major repairs and installations are performed best by trained and experienced professionals.
1. Garage Doors and Openers... Installation, Maintenance and Repair. Retrieved July 17, 2009, from The Natural Handyman Web site: http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infgar/infgar1.html
2. "Have You Inspected Your Garage Door Lately?" Garage Door Parts, LLC, Passaic, NJ 07055 - www.garagedoorsupply.com
Prominence Of Residential And Commercial Garage Door Repair Services
Most homes will come attached with a garage. People may not care about the type of material their garage door is, but there are various reasons for using different materials.
In previous years, traditional wooden doors were the most popular choice for garage doors. Unfortunately, wood is not a very durable material for exposure to the elements over the years. Steel and vinyl are fast becoming the most popular choices in garage doors. This is because they are more durable and resistant to damage. We will discuss the differences between steel and vinyl so that you can make a choice of which material would be better for your garage door.
It is a fact that vinyl garage doors are more expensive to install then steel, but this is a good thing, as they are usually the longest lasting of the two substances. Steel will usually need to be replaced over a certain number of years, whilst vinyl can come with a lifetime guarantee. Some people prefer to use vinyl as it is more resistant to dents and scratches. When a stray ball or object hits a steel door, it can get dented. This is not a major problem with vinyl doors at all, unless they are in a cold climate. If it is very, very cold then any damages to the vinyl door could cause it to crack. Naturally you would need to take the climate you are living in into account before choosing the material for your door.
With regards to colour, most vinyl doors will have an integrated colour throughout the material. This means that any damages will not show up too clearly on the surface. Steel on the other hand, needs to be painted, making it more susceptible to showing damages. Even though this may seem to be a negative point, bear in mind that at least steel doors can be repainted to cover up any damages or scratches. Vinyl, on the other hand, cannot.
Even though people will not normally live in their garages, it is important to know that steel doors are better insulated than vinyl ones. If you would like to maintain a constant temperature in your garage, then you should consider installing a steel door. In the same breath, if you would like a specific colour for your garage door, then it would also be preferable to choose steel. Steel can be painted to resemble wood, but remember if you want a smooth finish then you need to consider vinyl.
At the end of the day the choice is yours. Only you will know what type of garage door will look good on your property. The most important thing is to take all the above considerations into account before choosing your material. Then the next thing that you will need to do is decide whether or not you would like an automated garage door or not.
What To Look For In Your New Garage Door