Things do not end with buying and installing a new garage door in Jindalee. The thing is, it require proper care and maintenance for them to retain their top quality and condition. In fact, even if you purchased a topnotch brand and a heavy-duty material, it is still a must that you do the right things to care for your garage door. Here are some tips on door maintenance that will help you keep the door looking and working like it is brand new and minimising the need for garage door repairs.
Garage Door Repair – Problems and Fixes in Jindalee
Your garage should be as usable, organized, and welcoming as the rest of your home. You park your car in it. You use it for storage. You may even keep your family's bikes and sports equipment there. So it's a major nuisance when your garage door won't open properly.
Noisy garage doors are also annoying, especially if you have to leave for work early, and your entire family is woken by the squeaking.
Garage door maintenance might not be a top priority, but if you check all the working parts annually as part of a winterizing project, you'll never have to wrestle with a groaning garage door again.
What causes garage door rollers to stick?
• Dry rollers can cause the door to only open part way. Dry rollers can also make the door squeak when it's opening. The rollers must be lubricated.
• Rusty rollers can stick. The rust must be removed. If your garage is in a high-moisture environment, the rollers may be prone to rust. You can prevent rust-caused problems by replacing steel rollers with stainless steel or zinc plated ones.
• Worn rollers may create a loud, annoying popping sound when the door operates. These rollers must be replaced.
• Loose weatherstripping could jam against the sides of the door, and make it stick. It must be fixed.
How to fix and maintain garage door rollers
• Soak stuck rollers in kerosene. Use an old toothbrush to work the kerosene into all the parts. Wipe all the parts clean with a cloth.
• Scrub rusty rollers with steel wool to remove any rust. Wipe flecks of rust away.
• Lubricate dry rollers by applying WD-40 or 3 in 1 motor oil to the rollers, tracks, and hinges
• Tighten all screws and bolts which many have been vibrated loose over time.
How to replace garage door rollers
1. Open your garage door completely. Disconnect the door from your power opener. Unplug the garage door opener for safety.
2. Place a clamp on the track about 2/3 of the way up the door opening.
3. Bend the track slightly open with pliers.
4. Line up the first old roller with this opening. Wedge a screwdriver between the roller and the track, and pry the old roller out of the track. Remove this old roller.
5. Insert a new roller into the track.
6. Roll the door down to the next roller, and repeat these steps for the bottom rollers.
7. Bend the track back into alignment and roll the door all the way open.
8. Bend a section of the track in the middle of the overhead section with pliers. Make sure the door does not slip from the track and hit you.
9. Pry out and replace the last roller.
10. Bend the track back into shape with the pliers.
11. Remove the clamp from the track.
12. Plug the door opener back in, and reattach it to the door.
13. Close the door, watching for misalignment of the track. Adjust the bolts if needed.
Garage Door Repair Tips
When designing a new home or garage it is very important take the time to consider what garage door sizes will work best. It is important not to assume that you will only need a standard size door. Once you have made the decision it is more or less irrevocable. In addition you also should consider increasing the size of your garage and that includes the height of the garage walls as well. It really is hard to beat an oversize garage.
Even if you presently own only a single medium size car you should seriously consider spending the extra money to make your garage larger and that includes the garage doors. Standard garage door sizes include 8'x7' and 8'x16' sizes. These sizes will accommodate a medium size care comfortably but not a large SUV or ordinary pickup truck. In many cases an 8 foot high just will not give a pickup enough clearance vertical clearance and many times the trucks mirrors will not make through the 7 foot width.
If you work with your builder and architect you will find that it will not cost that much more to increase the garage wall height. Doing so will give you a lot more options in terms of the capability. A garage with 10 high side walls will easily accommodate a 9 foot garage door. So why do you need a 9 foot garage door? If you own a pickup truck you will sooner or later have it loaded with a high load and that load will easily make it into the garage and out of the weather. If you load up the roof rack of your SUV with a luggage box in most cases it will not clear a standard 7 foot high garage door.
When it comes to garage door sizes width is also a critical consideration. If you own a boat or utility trailer you will find that they are frequently close to 9 foot wide. This means your toys are going to be sitting out in the weather because they are too wide to fit through the standard 7 foot wide door. Even a person who handles a vehicle and trailer well will appreciate the extra width of a 10 or 12 foot wide door when back up the load into the garage. The extra width may also keep people from banging your truck mirrors.
In many cases people will opt for the standard 16 foot double garage doors. These doors do give you the width you need to back in your pontoon boat and other wide loads. Again having a 9 or 10 foot high door will allow you to back it in without taking down the bimini or hard top.
Designing and building a home with an oversize garage is a good investment in the value of your home. Even if you never use the garage to its full potential it will appeal to a larger market when it comes time to sell your home. Using large garage door sizes will allow the next owner to store all his or her toys in the garage. This is especially true if your oversize garage is enclosed with the best garage doors as well. In terms of garage doors pricing spending a small additional amount of money to oversize your garage may increase the value of your property substantially.
Garage Door Pieces and Parts - And Servicing Them