Things do not end with buying and installing a new garage door in Greenslopes. The thing is, it require proper care and maintenance for them to retain their top quality and condition. In fact, even if you purchased a topnotch brand and a heavy-duty material, it is still a must that you do the right things to care for your garage door. Here are some tips on door maintenance that will help you keep the door looking and working like it is brand new and minimising the need for garage door repairs.
Garage Door Repair – Problems and Fixes in Greenslopes
Garage doors normally open and close more than a dozen times every day. Routine maintenance is essential for continued proper functioning. Here's a checklist for routine maintenance and simple repairs every handy homeowner can perform without difficulty.
These procedures are recommended three or four times every year:
- Wash the exterior of the door with a stiff brush and mild detergent. Repaint or touch up peeling, chipped or cracked paint, especially if there is exposed wood.
- Use a vinyl cleaner on weather stripping around the bottom and frame. Lubricate with a silicone product to keep stripping flexible.
- Inspect rollers for damage. New rollers may be purchased from garage door dealers or at home improvement centers. Broken or worn rollers are easy to remove. First, use a socket wrench to loosen the bolts holding the roller hinge in place and remove damaged rollers. Insert replacement rollers and fasten hinge bolts.
- Check door tracks with a level to ensure they are aligned. If not, simply loosen, but don't remove, the bolts/screws that hold the track to the wall and adjust the track. Recheck alignment with the level. Once the track is straight, refasten the bolts/screws.
- Check mounting brackets that hold the tracks to the walls. If they're loose, tighten the bolts/screws. With the door closed, check from inside the garage to see if there are dents, flat spots or crimping in the tracks. These can be pounded out with a rubber mallet, or hammer and block of wood; avoid using a metal hammer which could easily cause further damage. Badly damaged tracks need to be replaced by a professional garage door installer.
- Check for loose hardware and tighten where needed. Check swing-up doors for loose screws on plates where the spring is mounted. Check roll-up doors for loose screws on hinges that hold sections of the door together. Sagging of the door on one side can be corrected by securing hinges with new screws; filling enlarged holes with wood filler and longer screws where necessary.
- Check springs and adjust tension on swing-up doors by moving the spring hook to the next hole. Tension on roll-up door springs that have a pulley can be adjusted by pulling the cable through the plate at the top of the door. Re-knot at the end to maintain tension.
Caution: A roll-up door that has a single torsion spring at the center of the door cannot be repaired by the average homeowner. The tension on the spring is great enough to cause serious injury. Doors with this type spring need to be repaired by a professional garage repairman.
- Use a heavy-duty, concentrated household cleaner to remove grease and dirt from tracks and rollers; dry thoroughly.
- Lubricate all moving parts with 10W30 motor oil. Apply oil to a rag and lubricate tracks paying special attention to sections that curve. Next use the oily rag to lubricate the springs. Wipe excess oil off springs with a clean rag.
Routine maintenance and simple garage door repairs are within the realm of the handy homeowner. Major repairs and installations are performed best by trained and experienced professionals.
1. Garage Doors and Openers... Installation, Maintenance and Repair. Retrieved July 17, 2009, from The Natural Handyman Web site: http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infgar/infgar1.html
2. "Have You Inspected Your Garage Door Lately?" Garage Door Parts, LLC, Passaic, NJ 07055 - www.garagedoorsupply.com
Sliding Garage Doors, And Why You Might Want One
A garage door is one of the most basic, yet most important requirements of your everyday life. When you get ready for your office and open the door to your garage with just a flick of your garage gate opener remote, you never realize what an essential tool it is. However, when something goes wrong with your garage gate opener and you have no option of getting to your car, and you are getting late to your office, you realize how important it is to your daily life. Thus, when your garage gate begins to malfunction, it is important that you perform the garage door repair at the soonest.
Repairing a garage entrance is not very hard and you can perform the repairs yourself if you are good with tools. However, if you are not too sure of yourself, do not attempt to do the garage entrance repair yourself, as you could hurt yourself.
What are the various problems that you can face with your garage door?
o Does not respond to the opener remote at all
o The garage gate opener runs, but does not work
o The garage gate opens and closes partially
o You need to work hard to get the door to open
If you are facing any of these problems, you shall have to start away with the garage gate repair right now.
The garage door repair usually involves some testing of the condition of the motors, replacing the batteries of the garage gate opener, lubricating the machinery, as well as aligning the machine in the right manner.
Before beginning the repair works, you should check the power supply, because you need continuous power supply to check if your garage entrance is working right. Next, you need to find out the system on which your garage door works. There are two types of spring system openers. The standard extension garage gate is easiest to repair. If this is the type of garage gate you have, check for broken cables and pulleys as well as broken springs and rollers.
If your system used a torsion spring, you need to call in a professional. This is because such a garage entrance opener is large and mounted over the door and you may hurt yourself while trying to perform the garage door repair.
If you require a temporary fix for your garage entrance opener, you should use the red cord that hangs from your opener. Pulling this cord will disconnect the opener from the door and now you can manually open the door. If however, the spring of the opener is broken, the door might shut suddenly, so be careful to keep your children or pets away from the door when you are carrying out the garage door repair.
If however you feel that the problem lies with the garage door tracks and not with the opener, you may call the manufacturer for a replacement of the garage door parts. Take care to read the manufacturer's guide properly, so that you can repair the doors with ease.
Garage Door Openers - Confusing Choices, But Convenient Luxuries Simplified For the Home Owner