Things do not end with buying and installing a new garage door in Enoggera. The thing is, it require proper care and maintenance for them to retain their top quality and condition. In fact, even if you purchased a topnotch brand and a heavy-duty material, it is still a must that you do the right things to care for your garage door. Here are some tips on door maintenance that will help you keep the door looking and working like it is brand new and minimising the need for garage door repairs.
Garage Door Repair – Problems and Fixes in Enoggera
Are you looking for a high quality garage door? Is your garage door broken and you need a repair? There are places that you can go to ask for service or installation of your garage door to make your house look great and function smoothly.
Did you know that if you have a new garage door your house is going to appear newer and be considered more up-to-date? With a service coming to take care of you, this can be a reality even same day. There are companies that have every different kind of style make and model of doors that will fit your house hold needs. Not to mention they have every color and material under the sun. This means if you are looking for a repair, they have all the supplies the knowledge and skill to help get your house back in top shape.
If you ARE looking for an entire new door, they can come and install it for you. That means if you want a steel door, a vinyl door, a carriage house or a wooden door this can be a new possibility for you. Here is a little bit about the different choices you have.
Steel doors are low maintenance. They are made of such a strong and durable material that they hold their great quality and reliability for longer than other material doors. You can feel safe in your home knowing that you have a garage door that is impossible to break through and have it in such a stylish light that you will win on all sides of the spectrum. This type of material also saves energy with the right installation.
Wood is of course elegant and gives your house that expensive look that you always wanted. This type of material comes at a very inexpensive price too. There are a range of different prices available when buying a wooden garage door. Because of this factor, this is one of the most popular materials around.
Vinyl doors are always a good choice because they hold their value, curb appeal and offer savings. They are low maintenance and help with energy saving too.
Carriage house style doors bring a more architectural feel to your home. There are many different panels to choose from that will blend with and enhance your own house's features. You will add such curb appeal to your home that you might even be the talk of the neighborhood.
Wind loaded doors protect against strong winds and other big natural weather disasters. They have specific wind codes in them so they know when there is a storm about to hit.
Whether you have one of these doors and need a repair or are looking into just buying a new one, it is a good idea to call a company that specializes in it. They have the knowledge and skill to fix your equipment better than any other general fix-it company.
Garage Door Repair: Why You Should Hire a Professional to Repair Your Garage Door
Garage doors normally open and close more than a dozen times every day. Routine maintenance is essential for continued proper functioning. Here's a checklist for routine maintenance and simple repairs every handy homeowner can perform without difficulty.
These procedures are recommended three or four times every year:
- Wash the exterior of the door with a stiff brush and mild detergent. Repaint or touch up peeling, chipped or cracked paint, especially if there is exposed wood.
- Use a vinyl cleaner on weather stripping around the bottom and frame. Lubricate with a silicone product to keep stripping flexible.
- Inspect rollers for damage. New rollers may be purchased from garage door dealers or at home improvement centers. Broken or worn rollers are easy to remove. First, use a socket wrench to loosen the bolts holding the roller hinge in place and remove damaged rollers. Insert replacement rollers and fasten hinge bolts.
- Check door tracks with a level to ensure they are aligned. If not, simply loosen, but don't remove, the bolts/screws that hold the track to the wall and adjust the track. Recheck alignment with the level. Once the track is straight, refasten the bolts/screws.
- Check mounting brackets that hold the tracks to the walls. If they're loose, tighten the bolts/screws. With the door closed, check from inside the garage to see if there are dents, flat spots or crimping in the tracks. These can be pounded out with a rubber mallet, or hammer and block of wood; avoid using a metal hammer which could easily cause further damage. Badly damaged tracks need to be replaced by a professional garage door installer.
- Check for loose hardware and tighten where needed. Check swing-up doors for loose screws on plates where the spring is mounted. Check roll-up doors for loose screws on hinges that hold sections of the door together. Sagging of the door on one side can be corrected by securing hinges with new screws; filling enlarged holes with wood filler and longer screws where necessary.
- Check springs and adjust tension on swing-up doors by moving the spring hook to the next hole. Tension on roll-up door springs that have a pulley can be adjusted by pulling the cable through the plate at the top of the door. Re-knot at the end to maintain tension.
Caution: A roll-up door that has a single torsion spring at the center of the door cannot be repaired by the average homeowner. The tension on the spring is great enough to cause serious injury. Doors with this type spring need to be repaired by a professional garage repairman.
- Use a heavy-duty, concentrated household cleaner to remove grease and dirt from tracks and rollers; dry thoroughly.
- Lubricate all moving parts with 10W30 motor oil. Apply oil to a rag and lubricate tracks paying special attention to sections that curve. Next use the oily rag to lubricate the springs. Wipe excess oil off springs with a clean rag.
Routine maintenance and simple garage door repairs are within the realm of the handy homeowner. Major repairs and installations are performed best by trained and experienced professionals.
1. Garage Doors and Openers... Installation, Maintenance and Repair. Retrieved July 17, 2009, from The Natural Handyman Web site: http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infgar/infgar1.html
2. "Have You Inspected Your Garage Door Lately?" Garage Door Parts, LLC, Passaic, NJ 07055 - www.garagedoorsupply.com
The Importance of Garage Door Maintenance