Things do not end with buying and installing a new garage door in East Brisbane. The thing is, it require proper care and maintenance for them to retain their top quality and condition. In fact, even if you purchased a topnotch brand and a heavy-duty material, it is still a must that you do the right things to care for your garage door. Here are some tips on door maintenance that will help you keep the door looking and working like it is brand new and minimising the need for garage door repairs.
Garage Door Repair – Problems and Fixes in East Brisbane
Garage doors normally open and close more than a dozen times every day. Routine maintenance is essential for continued proper functioning. Here's a checklist for routine maintenance and simple repairs every handy homeowner can perform without difficulty.
These procedures are recommended three or four times every year:
- Wash the exterior of the door with a stiff brush and mild detergent. Repaint or touch up peeling, chipped or cracked paint, especially if there is exposed wood.
- Use a vinyl cleaner on weather stripping around the bottom and frame. Lubricate with a silicone product to keep stripping flexible.
- Inspect rollers for damage. New rollers may be purchased from garage door dealers or at home improvement centers. Broken or worn rollers are easy to remove. First, use a socket wrench to loosen the bolts holding the roller hinge in place and remove damaged rollers. Insert replacement rollers and fasten hinge bolts.
- Check door tracks with a level to ensure they are aligned. If not, simply loosen, but don't remove, the bolts/screws that hold the track to the wall and adjust the track. Recheck alignment with the level. Once the track is straight, refasten the bolts/screws.
- Check mounting brackets that hold the tracks to the walls. If they're loose, tighten the bolts/screws. With the door closed, check from inside the garage to see if there are dents, flat spots or crimping in the tracks. These can be pounded out with a rubber mallet, or hammer and block of wood; avoid using a metal hammer which could easily cause further damage. Badly damaged tracks need to be replaced by a professional garage door installer.
- Check for loose hardware and tighten where needed. Check swing-up doors for loose screws on plates where the spring is mounted. Check roll-up doors for loose screws on hinges that hold sections of the door together. Sagging of the door on one side can be corrected by securing hinges with new screws; filling enlarged holes with wood filler and longer screws where necessary.
- Check springs and adjust tension on swing-up doors by moving the spring hook to the next hole. Tension on roll-up door springs that have a pulley can be adjusted by pulling the cable through the plate at the top of the door. Re-knot at the end to maintain tension.
Caution: A roll-up door that has a single torsion spring at the center of the door cannot be repaired by the average homeowner. The tension on the spring is great enough to cause serious injury. Doors with this type spring need to be repaired by a professional garage repairman.
- Use a heavy-duty, concentrated household cleaner to remove grease and dirt from tracks and rollers; dry thoroughly.
- Lubricate all moving parts with 10W30 motor oil. Apply oil to a rag and lubricate tracks paying special attention to sections that curve. Next use the oily rag to lubricate the springs. Wipe excess oil off springs with a clean rag.
Routine maintenance and simple garage door repairs are within the realm of the handy homeowner. Major repairs and installations are performed best by trained and experienced professionals.
1. Garage Doors and Openers... Installation, Maintenance and Repair. Retrieved July 17, 2009, from The Natural Handyman Web site: http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infgar/infgar1.html
2. "Have You Inspected Your Garage Door Lately?" Garage Door Parts, LLC, Passaic, NJ 07055 - www.garagedoorsupply.com
Garage Door Repair Service From A Reputable Company Is A Must
Things do not end with buying and installing a new garage door. The thing is, it require proper care and maintenance for them to retain their top quality and condition. In fact, even if you purchased a topnotch brand and a heavy-duty material, it is still a must that you do the right things to care for your garage door. Here are some tips on door maintenance that will help you keep the door looking and working like it is brand new.
1. Wipe with a clean cloth regularly. Doing this once a month is good enough. This should be done to prevent damage such as rusting that is usually caused by foreign matter adhering to the surface of the door. For stubborn stains and debris, dip the cloth in a mild household detergent diluted with water. Do not scrub the surface of the door with a rough material as it may leave unsightly scratches.
2. Apply car wax on the garage door. This is to help the surface repel dirt and keep its moisture. Of course, this would have to depend on the material of the garage door. Check out the manual first before doing this tip. Wooden garage doors, for example, may require a different solution.
3. Check the door for any signs of defect or broken components. Inspect the parts of the door such as the rubber astragal, opening mechanism, bracket button, hinges, steel rollers, and so on.
4. Lubricate the moving parts with light household oil or a lubricant specifically designed for this purpose.
5. Have a professional repair your garage if you detect any signs of malfunction or broken parts. It is not safe to leave your garage door like that when you already know that there is something wrong with it. Have it repaired immediately to prevent any injuries.
6. Test the safety reverse mechanism of the door at least once a month. This safety reverse mechanism ensures that when something blocks the door, it would reverse back to the open position to prevent injuries and even death. Test this mechanism by blocking the door with an item like a roll of paper towels. If it does not revert back to its original opening position and ends up crushing the paper towels, the door needs to be re-adjusted or fixed immediately.
7. Tighten screws and nuts on bolts twice a year. See to it that the slide lock is not extended past the end stile of the door in its unlocked position.
8. See if the door opens and closes with no difficulty. It should flow smoothly. If something seems stuck, check out what is wrong and have it repaired as soon as possible.
Aside from proper care and maintenance of the garage door, it is also a must that you give the garage area a good revamp so it would look nice and wonderful. Clean up any clutter, paint the walls with a new color, and organize the tools and items-these are just few of the many things you can do to give your garage a makeover.
Garage Door Pieces and Parts - And Servicing Them