Things do not end with buying and installing a new garage door in Belmont. The thing is, it require proper care and maintenance for them to retain their top quality and condition. In fact, even if you purchased a topnotch brand and a heavy-duty material, it is still a must that you do the right things to care for your garage door. Here are some tips on door maintenance that will help you keep the door looking and working like it is brand new and minimising the need for garage door repairs.
Garage Door Repair – Problems and Fixes in Belmont
Things do not end with buying and installing a new garage door. The thing is, it require proper care and maintenance for them to retain their top quality and condition. In fact, even if you purchased a topnotch brand and a heavy-duty material, it is still a must that you do the right things to care for your garage door. Here are some tips on door maintenance that will help you keep the door looking and working like it is brand new.
1. Wipe with a clean cloth regularly. Doing this once a month is good enough. This should be done to prevent damage such as rusting that is usually caused by foreign matter adhering to the surface of the door. For stubborn stains and debris, dip the cloth in a mild household detergent diluted with water. Do not scrub the surface of the door with a rough material as it may leave unsightly scratches.
2. Apply car wax on the garage door. This is to help the surface repel dirt and keep its moisture. Of course, this would have to depend on the material of the garage door. Check out the manual first before doing this tip. Wooden garage doors, for example, may require a different solution.
3. Check the door for any signs of defect or broken components. Inspect the parts of the door such as the rubber astragal, opening mechanism, bracket button, hinges, steel rollers, and so on.
4. Lubricate the moving parts with light household oil or a lubricant specifically designed for this purpose.
5. Have a professional repair your garage if you detect any signs of malfunction or broken parts. It is not safe to leave your garage door like that when you already know that there is something wrong with it. Have it repaired immediately to prevent any injuries.
6. Test the safety reverse mechanism of the door at least once a month. This safety reverse mechanism ensures that when something blocks the door, it would reverse back to the open position to prevent injuries and even death. Test this mechanism by blocking the door with an item like a roll of paper towels. If it does not revert back to its original opening position and ends up crushing the paper towels, the door needs to be re-adjusted or fixed immediately.
7. Tighten screws and nuts on bolts twice a year. See to it that the slide lock is not extended past the end stile of the door in its unlocked position.
8. See if the door opens and closes with no difficulty. It should flow smoothly. If something seems stuck, check out what is wrong and have it repaired as soon as possible.
Aside from proper care and maintenance of the garage door, it is also a must that you give the garage area a good revamp so it would look nice and wonderful. Clean up any clutter, paint the walls with a new color, and organize the tools and items-these are just few of the many things you can do to give your garage a makeover.
How to Fix Stuck Garage Door Rollers
Garage doors and automatic garage door openers provide the ultimate convenience to most home owners until they fail to work properly. Occasionally the problem may only be as simple as the infrared safety sensor which has become misaligned. There are a plethora of other parts of both the garage door and door opener that may be the cause of the problem, but maintaining the system properly will help to keep the units operating smoothly.
Older door openers will not have the same safety and security features that even the most basic of present day models will possess; just as newer garage doors will be more efficient than older models. With each and every door opener unit it is possible for some of the safety features to fail while still allowing normal functionality of the automatic garage door opener to open the door. Newer door openers have additional circuitry to prevent the closing of a door in the event of a malfunctioning safety sensor. Most doors will still open with the activation wall switch even if the close function has been disabled.
Not every component of a door or opener will require involved maintenance, but just a cursory inspection. Some of the serviceable parts which a home owner can maintain on their own is the lubrication of the garage door rollers and chain. Realigning the infrared sensor at the bottom of the door opening is by far the easiest task for the home owner to perform as well. The majority of the other parts are not easily or safely serviced and should by no means be attempted by the untrained and experienced individual.
The garage door will either make use of one or two torsion springs located just above the garage door on the interior header or springs to the sides where the door travels on the tracks. The purpose of these springs is to provide a counter balance system which will allow the home owner to manually open or close the door safely and with little effort. Without these springs being properly adjusted with the correct tension, the door will likely slam upward or come crashing down. A properly adjusted torsion spring should allow the home owner to manually open or close the door to the halfway point and stop with the door showing minimal movement.
Before any automatic door opener is connected to the door or any adjustments are made to the closing force sensor the door needs to be balanced by adjusting the spring. It is even common for a garage door which is only a few years old to need adjustment of the torsion spring. Torsion springs lose tension as the metal fatigues over years of wear and tear.
Adjusting the torsion spring is not considered a user serviceable part and should be adjusted by the experienced garage door service technician. Serious injury is quite possible when adjusting the tension. If the home owner finds it necessary to adjust the force sensor adjustment on the door opener motor to the maximum setting, this indicates that there is a major potential problem with either the sensor or an imbalanced door. Proper safety precautions and adjustment should be done by a trained professional.
Garage Doors Maintenance